MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #16
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

You might look into the Lodge Sportsman's Grill. I don't have one, but I've been giving it some though over the past couple of years. It gets great reviews.

Just a thought,
John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Based on my ownership of two kettles, a kettle paired eith your WSM oiuld be ideal. A kettle works well for just the wife and I. I can pull the legs off to transport it, and the 22.5 inch diameter allows you to do zoned cooking.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Personally, I would vote for a SJG. I find that I use that more than anything since I am usually only cooking for 2 and in small amounts (i.e. 2 steaks or 2 burgers etc.). I can cook indirect in the SJG for small meals and it works great with minimal charcoal. Also, once you have the SJG, you are only a few steps from having a mini-WSM which again is great for small meals. I love doing tri-tip on mine as I can smoke it for a bit and then just take the pot off and let the coals heat up for a finishing sear. Just my $.02. You will probably be just as happy with an 18" or 22.5" kettle too. Watch craigslist and pick one up cheap.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #19
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Happy New Year Toast -

Of the grills you listed, cooking for two, my choice would be the WGA. (the rectangular Weber).

If portability is NOT a consideration, put lit coals in the charcoal ring of your WSM, sit the lower cooking grate on top of the charcoal ring. Voila, an 18 inch charcoal grill.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

OTG is my recommendation.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
You might look into the Lodge Sportsman's Grill. I don't have one, but I've been giving it some though over the past couple of years. It gets great reviews.

Lodge Logic L410 Pre-Seasoned Sportsman's Charcoal Grill:Amazon:Kitchen & Dining

Just a thought,
John
I have one and like it for what it does well and that's grilling. But it is pretty much a one trick pony. No way to do indirect. I'm not sure how well it would work in cold or windy weather unless you provide some other way to block wind.

The seasoning burns off the first time you use it and it gets pretty rusty looking fast. Either get used to that look or season it each time you use it. (I do season the grate but not the rest.)

They provided a nice bail to lift it but did not bother to balance it. When you lift it, it tips forward, the door flops open and coals spill out. They obviously didn't test the design before they manufactured it.

The nice thing about it is the cast iron grate, but you can get that for a regular Weber and have a much more versatile piece of cooking equipment.
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

My 22.5 OTG is by far my favorite weapon! Get one!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #23
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
The WGA is an amazing machine. Probably the least expensive of the 3 (or maybe about the same as the Jumbo Joe, not sure) and you can do some phenomenal things with it - look at any of Phubar's threads and you'll see. You can also cook indirect on these and they are highly portable and just simply amazing.
yeah...what Phu does with his WGA is nothing short of magic

Old 01-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #24
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Thanks to all for the great replies! I'm going to look at each one in person to get a better idea. Happy New Year everyone!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #25
Missed-Em
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've got a 22 1/2, Smokey Joe and UDS. 22 1/2 hasn't been used in 18 months. SJ is great for steaks and burgers for the 2 of us and if you add a tamale cooker you got a mini WSM. Problem now is which one to use on the next cook. Go with the Smokey Joe.
Missed-Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #26
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

A lot to consider. The rig I purchase will be used mainly on work day evenings for quick, easy and most of all GOOD! ;D
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #27
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you need the portability go with the WGA. If not, go with an 18" Kettle. Fire up a half chimney of briquets and let 'er rip.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
Boshizzle

I use my weed burner to fire up my Smokey Joe and can be cooking in 90 seconds. The SJ is easy to clean up and put away after a cook too. I think it's great for weekday meals for two or three people.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #29
mbshop
Babbling Farker

yea, if its just for home then get the 18.5. i used mine for the first time a few months ago and i actually liked it for burgers, etc.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #30
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I highly recommend the weber performer with the gas ignition. It does everything, and with the wsm, you would be in serious business. If not that, I woud get the 22.5 or 18.5 inch ots (if you have it on a wooden deck, might wanna get the gold model.

You can probably get either of them on Craigslist, and if you don't see the one you want, just wait a little while.