• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Direct PBC competition (new product).

Eddiecalder

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Looks like a very interesting alternative to the PBC. Has more accessories, a temp control damper for the intake, hinge for the lid, and seems easier to clean and load coals.

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=pit...e-Cooker-Barrelhouse-Convection/dp/B017WQSNYY
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Barrel-House-Cooker-Barrelhouse-Convection/dp/B017WQSNYY"]Amazon.com : Barrel House Vertical Cooker (Barrelhouse Cooker, Bbq Smoker, Convection Cooker, Charcoal Smoker, Drum Smoker, Drum Cooker, Barrel Smoker, Hang Meat, Outdoor Cooker) : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GLB3DDBkL.@@AMEPARAM@@51GLB3DDBkL[/ame]

Honestly anyone that drills holes in their uds or makes a hanging ring for theirs is "competition"

This meat hanging thing is far from new anyway so it's no big deal other than another option for folks that don't want to or can't build their own

It is another option for people that dont want to build their own. Pretty hard to compare a UDS (something that is 90% of the time homemade) to somthing that is fully assembled. Everyone's UDS will not be the same.

Why price it higher than the proven competition? And i'm insulted that someone would think that I can't build a pbc:boxing:

It is another option for people that dont want to build their own. Pretty hard to compare a UDS (something that is 90% of the time homemade) to somthing that is fully assembled. Everyone's UDS will not be the same.
Oh all UDS can cook as good or.... lol. Seriously though even though uds aren't made the same the meats people cook along with different climates and weather conditions out there nothing is the same for anyone anyway.

Anyways the PBC doesn't hold a license on hanging meat so no matter what someone uses as long as they are cooking good Q it's all good!

There are cooker cults out there and there's always gonna be haters of new products ( I know you are not though) What ever someone wants to buy or make it's all good for sure. Competition if you call it that is a good thing!

No one (not me anyways) is arguing that a UDS will produce the same product as the PBC. I have heard many people complane about the lack of temp control and the difficulty/hassle of loading the coals and cleaning ul the ash. This unit takes care of both issues and adds more versatility with the grats lay out.

The value for what you get seems to be higher than the PBC....... Wont know until someone buys one and reviews it (could be thinner metal for all I know).

Paul this does have potential .... lol :boink:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgSMmCQ-pcI"]Introducing the Barrel House Vertical Cooker - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVNbbKaF6hg"]How to Cook with Barrel House - YouTube[/ame]

Why price it higher than the proven competition? And i'm insulted that someone would think that I can't build a pbc:boxing:

I agree that almost anyone can build a UDS. I just have no idea where to get somthing enamel coated.

The "standard model" is $299.
The "delux model" is $349.
Apparently a XL model is in the works as well.

Apparently a payment plan of two equal payments ( 2 consecutive months) is available as well

http://www.barrelhousecooker.com/shop.php

Lol at the tags for this thread :p

But yah I saw this a while back on Amazon. Looks like it would do the trick. The intake is adjustable but the didn't make the exhaust adjustable.....kinda surprised about that.

Seems it is a 14" diameter vs the PBC at 18"? giving the PBc a bit mire hanging room....but it certainly comes with more grate options. Only 4 hooks vs 8 though.

Honestly I think it's a wash. Pick one and start cooking ;). I'm happy enough with mine though.

44 lbs shipping weight vs 64lbs on the pbC for whatever that's worth too.

I agree that almost anyone can build a UDS. I just have no idea where to get somthing enamel coated.

The "standard model" is $299.
The "delux model" is $349.
Apparently a XL model is in the works as well.

Apparently a payment plan of two equal payments ( 2 consecutive months) is available as well

http://www.barrelhousecooker.com/shop.php

We have a local place that I used for powder coat that does that and ceramic but never priced the ceramic...guessing it would cost more than I was willing to pay anyway.

Lol at the tags for this thread :p

But yah I saw this a while back on Amazon. Looks like it would do the trick. The intake is adjustable but the didn't make the exhaust adjustable.....kinda surprised about that.

Seems it is a 14" diameter vs the PBC at 18"? giving the PBc a bit mire hanging room....but it certainly comes with more grate options. Only 4 hooks vs 8 though.

Honestly I think it's a wash. Pick one and start cooking ;). I'm happy enough with mine though.

44 lbs shipping weight vs 64lbs on the pbC for whatever that's worth too.

I didn't notice the smaller diameter. Seems like pretty big mistake IMO.

I didn't notice the smaller diameter. Seems like pretty big mistake IMO.
Oh it's probably more efficient though...at least me comparing my 14.5 to my 18.5 to my 22.5, the bigger you go the less efficient unless you're filling it up to capacity. Besides I've rarely seen anyone take their PB to capacity...although I had to use my UDS for a couple hanging cooks because the 18.5" wasn't big enough.

I do like the fact that you can access the charcoal easier with this, it reminds me of that jimmy cooker :wink:

Its so little. That could be a good thing but its expensive for the size. Would like all those grate/hanging options in any size drum though...gives one ideas for future designs.

It's a tad small, imho. Nice options as Smoke Ninja has pointed out.

I love my 14.5 WSM & the mods I have done to it, however the small diameter does limit things. Sometimes.... bigger is better.

Looks like it will find a spot in the little cooker category. However the deluxe model is approx $150 more than a 14.5 WSM. They are up against some tough competition.

It will be most interesting to see where this thread and this product goes. This cooker is clearly a knock off of the PBC, and they better have serious marketing muscle to edge in as a competitor. (For those of you who don't know, I live, breathe, and eat marketing for a living, especially as it relates to the digital space. I live it so much I haven't posted on my BBQ blog in over a year! :tsk:)

I gave an honest review of the PBC on my blog a while back. It turns out fine, fine, product.

Different cookers do some things better, though. This is why I sold my WSM. There's no way I could get ribs anywhere near as good on my UDS, or WSM compared to my Kamado. My UDS now serves as either a chicken rotisserie cooker, or Roadside chicken cooker, and when time permits, an open split rotiss burner that cranks out the best whole chickens ever, thanks to fwismoker.

Nonetheless, for the new backyard enthusiast who wants a simple, no hassle out-of-the box solution to create good quality BBQ, units like these serve a great purpose. Many folks just don't have the time or resources to build a custom UDS, and that's where a PBC or Barrel House can be a good start.

Back