• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

St. Louis area butcher/meat market

MaximumJEFF

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I haven't been impressed with any briskets I've seen at local butcher shops. Sam's in Kirkwood isn't carrying packers anymore. I tried RD today and was happy with the pricing but, the individual briskets were a bit on the thin side. I only found two with thick flats.
So, my question is, where do you buy your meat in/around St. Louis? Any place selling Prime or Wagyu?

Thanks in advance

Have you tried Holland's Meat Market and Cafe'?

They are located over off of New Sugar creek and hwy 30. I've been a few times and liked the quality a lot. I tend to do Dierberghs a lot though still because we are friends of the family owners. Always been satisfied with them.

As far as briskets go, I don't do enough of them to give you a good answer on where to find the best.

Check out Mateker's Meat & Catering and Kenrick's Meat Market. Two great, local outfits. Both are in the south county area, and both usually have an excellent selection. Can't tell you whether or not they're selling Wagyu, though.

Last edited:
I've been to all three. I live about a mile from Hollands. I stop in there for lunch every now and then. But, I haven't had good luck with them beyond that.
Kenrick's and Mateker's are good. But, Sam's has them beat for ribs, butts and chicken. Hell, Shop n Save has them all beat for ribs.

Dude, Shop N Save ribs are great. Schnucks too. I haven't been to LeGrands for a while. It's right by my gal's place. I'll give em a call.

Finding briskets in STL always seemed to be a chore to me. From what I remember, Sam's Club in Des Peres had them sometimes - basically if some one specifically asked for one they would order a case, and may or may not get shorted. I think I remember Sam's Club in the Valley carrying them more regularly. Call and ask. The good news is that they are a lot easier to get in about a month from now, right before St. Pat's. I used to stock up on packers then. Good luck!

dmp

Finding briskets in STL always seemed to be a chore to me. From what I remember, Sam's Club in Des Peres had them sometimes - basically if some one specifically asked for one they would order a case, and may or may not get shorted. I think I remember Sam's Club in the Valley carrying them more regularly. Call and ask. The good news is that they are a lot easier to get in about a month from now, right before St. Pat's. I used to stock up on packers then. Good luck!

dmp

I'll give em a call. Maybe I can make friends with one of their butchers.

Must be the Shop n Save's near me... I've only seen extra lean ribs at SnS. Schnucks has a decent selection, as does Dierbergs, but they are usually over-priced there.

Speaking of over priced, I went up to Straubs the other day. Holy Moly. They have "Kobe" priced at $30/lbs.

I used to work across the street from Straubs. Good for some hard to find stuff, but those "Kobe" prices scared me away too. I used to love Schnuck's for all my pork purchases. Great IPC stuff that would go on sale about once a month. It was closer to me than Sam's, and I would just buy that. Loved it.

dmp

I hear Kendrick's is good,but I use John's Butcher Shoppe in the Overland area.

Where can I get Tri-Tip? I have been meaning to try it but have not really seen any other than at Trader Joes.

I was just at the O'Fallon IL Sams last weekend and they had choice whole packers for 2.49lb. Angus was I believe 4.99lb

Where can I get Tri-Tip? I have been meaning to try it but have not really seen any other than at Trader Joes.

Last time I was at Kenrick's I saw tri-tips. I should have got one. I've been wanting to try one also.

Here is my favorite in the St Louis area.
quality meats and extremely reasonable.
I am 3 minutes from Matekers and go by Kenrick's all the time
and yet this is the place I will go out of my way to go to

Herrell's Market in Imperial
1015 Main St, Imperial, MO 63052
636-464-3071

Back