• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Easy PASTRAMI Tutorial, Part 2

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
2 weeks ago, I brined/spiced 2 rump roasts for pastrami and corned beef. I opted for the nitrate/nitrite-free approach which only sacrifices the pink/red color of corned beef/pastrami, but the flavor and tenderness remain unchanged. The 1st thread is here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145936 . The corned beef thread is here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146735

For the pastrami, it's a snap. I took the corned beef rump roast from brine, rinsed it off, and soaked it for 30 hours in cold water in the fridge, changing the water 3 times to draw the extra salt back out. (you can also start here with the soaking step with a purchased raw corned beef brisket)
cb10.jpg

DSCN3408.jpg

Then I dried it off well with paper towels, rubbed it with some olive oil (many spices are fat-soluble and give off better flavor in the presence of oil), then covered it well with the pastrami rub. I merged a few recipes and came up with this: 4 tbsp coarse ground black pepper, 2 tsp coarse ground coriander, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp onion powder, and 1 tsp chicago steak seasoning.
DSCN3409.jpg

Then it gets tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 8-24 hours or more (mine was 16 hours) for the seasonings to melt their flavor into the meat.
DSCN3413.jpg

DSCN3416.jpg

I smoked it indirect with apple chunks at 275-300 for 4 hours or an approximate IT of 150-ish.
DSCN3418.jpg

DSCN3424.jpg

DSCN3421.jpg

Then I put it on a wire rack in a tented foil-covered pan with beef broth in the bottom to steam for approximately 2 hours until 180-200 IT depending on which cut you use. You don't want the liquid touching the meat or it will wash off your crust and boil the meat. Also try to tent the foil up and off of the meat.
DSCN3426.jpg

DSCN3429.jpg

DSCN3440.jpg

Then let it rest a bit, and slice against the grain and eat warm, or cool and slice and eat later if you are more patient than me!
DSCN3446.jpg

DSCN3448.jpg

And a little bit with some of the pan broth :clap2:
DSCN3454.jpg

DSCN3457.jpg

DANG is it GOOD!!! The rest is sliced and resting in the fridge for sammies tomorrow :thumb: This is SO easy, you CAN do it!!
Thanks for lookin' at my cookin'!! :becky:

Very nice. You definitely opened up my eyes to a corned beef and pastrami that isn't brisket. I'm gonna try this soon.

That looks Great What is the difference in taste between the rump roast and brisket Thought con beef/pastrami is done with brisket

That looks Great What is the difference in taste between the rump roast and brisket Thought con beef/pastrami is done with brisket

You're right, brisket is generally used/preferred for corned beef/pastrami. It has more fat content which helps alot in tenderness/etc. Commercial deli corned beef and pastrami is made quite often from round cuts though, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to have used brisket, but we don't buy beef (we get a steer a year from my inlaws), and our briskets were long gone. The tenderness was good thanks to a 2 week brine and patience with the smoking/steaming. I've also done this with chuck/arm roasts with decent results too. I'd rather do this with rumps than make pot roast for sure! I also think they make decent jerky which I hope to do more of soon.

Back