Brethren assist requested

G

greenkm

Hey Brethren,

I have a 9 pound grass fed brisket that I plan to throw on my Traeger tonight...I'm going to set the grill to smoke (180 degrees) and throw on sometime late tonight (midnight) and let internal temp reach 180. I think 12 hours is about right?

Then I'll wrap in foil w/beef broth, crank up the Traeger to 225 degrees and wait until it hits 190/195 internal. I'm guessing another 2-3 hours approximately.

I'll prep with a dry rub...I have some good rubs already, but could make my own if there are some recommendations.

Since this is a very lean brisket, is there any precautions that I need to obey so that I don't destroy the meat?

KG

My only comment is that it will take an extremely long time to get to 180* while cooking at 180*. If I were you I would just start it at 225* and leave it there until it the brisket hits 180, then foil until 200*. Then rest it. I would also inject it with one of the better commercial beef injections.

i agree, 180* is pretty darn low.
be careful with moisture, the first couple grassfed steaks i cooked, while delicious, dried out on me. they cook very quick.

Exactly, don't want this to become shoe leather.

I thought that cooking at the real low temp would help keep the meat from drying out...I have cooked a smaller grass fed brisket @225 degrees and it did dry out...still good but not satisfied.

I did think of injecting before throwing on the Traeger, don't have anything on hand except beef broth...I'll go to local BBQ Galore...and find something...any injection brand recommendation?

KG

I don't often bother with injections myself, but if the brisket is way lean, try laying on a protective layer of bacon on top.

OK...thanks to all for the ideas...I'll set grill @225 and let it fly.

Yea, I think those injections are available.

KG

Go at 180 for 2-3 hrs. Then bring it to 250 to finish it off. The time at 180 will give it the smoke profile. At 225 or 250, Traegers burn pretty efficient.

Go at 180 for 2-3 hrs. Then bring it to 250 to finish it off. The time at 180 will give it the smoke profile. At 225 or 250, Traegers burn pretty efficient.

That is correct. Pellet Poopers are not very smokey. You need to start them at 180 to get some smoke.

This is the way is is done on a pellet machine.

Folks who do not cook with pellets can give some advice that will not work well for us.

"Smoke" or 180 for a few hours will add a lot to the flavor profile.

Keep us posted.

TIM

I went to my local BBQ Galore and bought some JOHN HENRY East Texas brisket marinade...injected the brisket...and then used the remainder of the 16 oz jar as a marinade.

It's in the refrig for now, soaking up the spices. I'll rub later and then put on the Traeger for a few hours @180 to get some smoke effect, then ramp up the temp to 225 to finish off.

I really appreciate those that are familiar with a pellet pooper for the advice on the right course to take with the smoke process, this is only my second attempt for a brisket on the Traeger...I'll keep you posted.

I do apologize in advance though, as I'm not a photo taker at all...:doh:...so no pron...

Matter of fact my camera is 100 miles away...and I don't even miss it.

KG

Again thanks to all for the comments and recommendations.

Here is how I finally proceeded:

Injected and marinated for about 5 hours, using the John Henry brisket marinade. Rubbed with John Henry Pecan.

Threw on the Traeger @180 at midnight for 8 hours, in the morning it was hitting internal temperature of 150...cranked up to 225 and after 2.5 hours the brisket was 180 internal...wrapped in foil w/just beef broth...cranked Traeger setting to 250 and waited another couple hours until internal temp hit 200 degrees. Tested with a probe and it went in just like butter...I was feelin' good. :-D

Used the 'put in a cooler' method, to keep meat warm for a few hours. First time for me doing this, worked great!

Anyhow I know there are no pictures, but must say that the brisket was delicious. Tender and real good flavor.

Although, I'm not convinced that the price is worth it for a grass fed meat.

KG

Glad it worked for you. I have cooked several grass fed briskets now and lean-ness was not an issue. All of them have turned out well without injection. There is plenty of connective tissue to provide moisture.

Back