Kamado Restoration Project

Nice work!

I never thought to take pics of me curing the firebox in the oven.....because I can still hear my wife screaming at me for doing it in the first place!

Nice work!

I never thought to take pics of me curing the firebox in the oven.....because I can still hear my wife screaming at me for doing it in the first place!

Thanks Brian,

This sure is a lot of work to get this back into shape. I hope it is all worthwhile.

Got the Primer done. The final color may be too much but there is no turning back now.

Picture049.jpg

Few more shots of the Misc things.

Probably get a BGE cap but for now a patch may work

Picture087.jpg

Picture088.jpg

Replacement for the broken view window.

1/8 sheet metal. 5/32 hole for the Thermo.

Picture083.jpg

Picture084.jpg

I think this project is much more interesting to me than the rest of you all. :sad:

Coming down to the wire on the unveiling. Everything is still in pieces until Saturday or Sunday. Prep and the Painting is really taking some time.

I will give you a preview of the color scheme before the finished results. I guess that is, if anyone would like to see...

Upper damper and Top.

Picture092.jpg

Picture094.jpg

:wink:

I am interested Terry, but, I need you to complete the thing and post some food. What do you do all week that is slowing you down?

I am interested Terry, but, I need you to complete the thing and post some food. What do you do all week that is slowing you down?

Thanks for the support. The patching, prepping and painting of the base and dome was the most time consuming. I needed to wait 48 hours between coats and did 2 coats of final color.

Then there was so much rust and crud on the metal parts that took a lot of time also. I know that the prep is the most important part so I did spend a lot of time on that.

I have about 25 hours labor into this beast. Being unemployed is making it go faster or it may have taken a few weeks to get to this point. :wink:

Thank gawd for not having a job...oh wait, I got no money flowing either...great, now I am depressed...thanks Terry!

Of course, now I got all day to wait hang out in the Woodpile

I did one last year fun project. For the glass thermometer cover, I used stainless diamond and drilled a hole for the stem.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=733517&catid=1

I had seen your thread. Yours looks exactly like mine right down to the cart, can't tell if it has the Rotisserie notches. I also am missing the feet.

Did you ever get any history on it, age?

I still need to figure out what to do with the dome handle.

If all goes as planned I hope to have the finished smoker pron tomorrow.

Very impressive how much you've done so quickly! I've had my kamado project since 11/3 and I haven't even cleaned it out yet! I'm feelin' like a slacker here.:icon_blush:

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I'm certainly feeling inspired by your project and all the other great restorations.

Okay enough suspense, the finished project. I think it came out pretty good. Took me several samples to get the right color I liked. Installed a new gasket and we are ready to Rock-n-Roll.

Picked up a Lodge Trivet for the fire grate (thanks swamprb for the tip), Now I just need to figure out the handle for the dome. I may replace the cooking grate if a 18" Weber will fit, the original is pretty rough.

Will do a test burn tomorrow, I hope it does not explode.

Would you want this in your backyard? Looking for a name for it too, Big Orange Egg just does not flow.

Picture163.jpg

Picture144-1.jpg

Picture136.jpg

Picture133-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back