MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #16
CtTradArcher
On the road to being a farker

So is this Oklahoma Joe similar to the old New Braunfeld Black Diamond? Meaning in size and thickness of metal?

I have a NBBD that I kind of cast aside due to not being able to turn out good cooks on it, but that was before I found this sight and learned about fire management and how important it is with an offset.

I have since built a reverse flow offset and have had good luck turning out quality Q.

I am thinking I need to give the NBBD another try...

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Bandera, NB Black Diamond, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.
CtTradArcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
smokenpreacher
Full Fledged Farker

I have the Old Country Pecos, the largest OC that Academy had. I have done several cooks on it, and I'm still learning it. My local Lowes and HDepot didn't have side box smokers so I went with Academy.
I'm very pleased with my Pecos, very minimal leaks at cooking temp, uses about 1 split every 45 min to one hour.
One thing I have found is to let it loose and cook at its temp. I tried "choking" it down to lower the temps, but started getting white smoke, so I opened it up and let the beast eat. It runs consistently at 260-275, and I can push it up to 325-350 with a little help from a small fan.
smokenpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
Dreggs
Full Fledged Farker

I had one. Made good ribs.
Dreggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
southpaw_1979

I have a similar offset and I'm very happy with it. I haven't cooked anything I couldn't eat yet.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #20
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Reviews on the Lowes website range from "excellent" to "not worth the price". Looks like w/ a couple of the usual mods, it's a decent smoker- better than a lot of the stuff at the big box stores but not the quality of original OK Joe's.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_131736-82210-13201747_0__?productId=4329992&Ntt=smoker&pl=1&cur rentURL=%3FNtt%3Dsmoker&facetInfo=

The only "problem" I see is the degradation of the "Oklahoma Joe" brand name that has occurred via the usual corporate BS over the years. I hate that crap and think it's a shame these smokers use that name.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
supertramp

I have an oklahoma joe's longhorn and have cooked everything from hot dogs to prime rib on it

The versatility is tops, the downside is playing with the firebox every 2 hours

For the price, not a better smoker on the market

When you are looking for an upgrade once you get the hang of it, check out the horizon brand. You will probably find them very similar other than quality, and there's a reason for that
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #22
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertramp View Post
When you are looking for an upgrade once you get the hang of it, check out the horizon brand. You will probably find them very similar other than quality, and there's a reason for that

^^^^^^

Horizon is the true lineage of the original OK Joe. Brinkmann was, for a short while.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #23
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I have an oklahoma joe's longhorn and have cooked everything from hot dogs to prime rib on it

The versatility is tops, the downside is playing with the firebox every 2 hours

For the price, not a better smoker on the market

how are you playing with the firebox?
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #24
supertramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
how are you playing with the firebox?
adding more fuel
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #25
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
adding more fuel
yeah, I guess that happens when you burn wood lol
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote