MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pizza FAIL/Pizza Kettle oven build WIN

So I wanted to try my hand at pizza outdoors.. looked up the kettlepizza...thats $150 for a piece of aluminum
Decided it would be super easy to build one...already had this piece of barrel precut from a seperate project..measured perfect for my need.

Cut,grind hi temp paint...done!

Wish I could say the same for the pizza...burned the entire bottom crust BAD...Blame the cast iron skillet, or excessive high temp(no thermometer...but I used lump coal.)?was i suppose to indirect cook?

Regardless..I wont quit...gonna find me a pizza stone. Any recommendations on size/where to acquire?

paint

Sent from Galaxy tab

Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Nice work. You need to go indirect unless you get you pizza up a lot higher. Even it at that you still may need indirect. I usuall make a ring of charcoal when using my kettle for pizza.
What's the height on your insert?
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your pizza is close to the fire, and your dome is far from the fire, so your crust burned before your toppings were cooked. And, from the pr0n, that looks like a thick pizza, so you really need time for it to cook from above, without burning the bottom.

You need to reduce the heat that gets to the bottom of the crust, so that the heat in the dome can cook the pizza. A stone will help a lot. But, you may need more than that, considering how high your dome is. If I were cooking a pizza in a CI pan, I'd put the pan on top of a pizza stone.

Running your coals around the outer ring of the kettle may help, too.

Basically, you need to try to balance the heat from the bottom more with the heat from above you pizza, IMO.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
po3po3
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Your pizza is close to the fire, and your dome is far from the fire, so your crust burned before your toppings were cooked. And, from the pr0n, that looks like a thick pizza, so you really need time for it to cook from above, without burning the bottom.

You need to reduce the heat that gets to the bottom of the crust, so that the heat in the dome can cook the pizza. A stone will help a lot. But, you may need more than that, considering how high your dome is. If I were cooking a pizza in a CI pan, I'd put the pan on top of a pizza stone.

Running your coals around the outer ring of the kettle may help, too.

Basically, you need to try to balance the heat from the bottom more with the heat from above you pizza, IMO.

CD
I agree. Also...you may want to buy a couple bricks and place them on the grate and pizza stone on that to raise your pizza closer to the dome

Old 03-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: Pizza FAIL/Pizza Kettle oven build WIN

this makes perfect sense now guys-thanks for the insight and direction...The insert is 12 inches total. Im thinking cutting it down to 7 inches in height..or maybe even 6. thanks again-will post a pizza WIN soon.

tomorrow we are doing steak and hotdogs...so thay will be an automatic WIN for the week! Will be my first time using my Grillgrates on streak...so im excited:)

Sent from Galaxy tab

Old 03-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

Along with those suggestions I want to say that the idea is brilliant! I want one!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #7
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Buy a box of firebrick. The will help control your temp and give you a surface for a pan. They are cheaper than a comparable thickness pizza stone.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #8
po3po3
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garzanium View Post
this makes perfect sense now guys-thanks for the insight and direction...The insert is 12 inches total. Im thinking cutting it down to 7 inches in height..or maybe even 6. thanks again-will post a pizza WIN soon.

tomorrow we are doing steak and hotdogs...so thay will be an automatic WIN for the week! Will be my first time using my Grillgrates on streak...so im excited:)

Sent from Galaxy tab
sweet! I just got a set of second hand grill grates but haven't been able to use them yet. Can't wait to see how your cook goes

Old 03-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: Pizza FAIL/Pizza Kettle oven build WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Buy a box of firebrick. The will help control your temp and give you a surface for a pan. They are cheaper than a comparable thickness pizza stone.
im all about buying stuff that has multiple uses..this makes sense and yes...pizza stones are like $30 it looks like. Have been surfing online and there is a restaurant supply store locally that sells deep dish pans that I can set on top of the brick.

Sent from Galaxy tab

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Cool build!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #11
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Unless you can find a way to move the heat across the top of the pizza and out the opening, I don't know that you won't continue to have the same problem. You could make a thinner, NY neopolitan style pizza and that would help, but you'd still have the issue of the bottom cooking much faster than the top.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #12
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Wow, I've been thinking of something like this and here you went and pioneered a build! Like the other brothers said, get something in between your grate/fire and your pizza stone. After burning the hell out of my firse couple crusts, I used suggestions from several who use fire bricks and make a base for the stone, worked great and my pizza's are turning out much better. I use an Emil Henry glazed ceramic round stone that is made for high direct heat - not just for pizza, I get amazing sear on scallops & blackened redfish! Lodge makes a CI "stone" that looks really neat also. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #13
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Oh yea, one more thought. Northern Tool sells a 1-1/4 thick ceramic firebrick in a pack of 6 for $15 that I used and they work great. Here is a link.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5974_200325974

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim
Default Pizza FAIL/Pizza Kettle oven build WIN

You need a heat diverter, you don't want your pizza to be directly exposed to the heat source.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
joshcary
Full Fledged Farker

I love my KettlePizza, and this looks like a nice build. I would do what you are thinking of. Cut it down to 7", and then follow the "how-to" of the KettlePizza and build a "C" of charcoal along the back, add a couple pieces of chunk wood, and use a pizza stone to help even it all out. Overall it's good looking (and affordable) alternative!
joshcary is offline   Reply With Quote