Babbling Farker
Reaction score
latest find at Restaurant Depot.

Oh man this stuff is good!!!

very tender for such a lean cut!!!

Sorry no pics of it sliced up.

Went too fast!

Last edited:
all it is, is mustard with garlic cloves, rosemary and lemon zest/juice.

and then there is some Royal Oak lump and a few sweet potatoes hanging out down below!!!

I reckon the hanger steak is the best flavoured of all steaks.
The French call it "onglet" and it is commonly served with French fries.
However, I do not believe that a simple BBQ is the best way to cook it.
I prefer to "sous vide" it for 12 hours at 55C (132F). Use immediately OR store in fridge for few days OR freezer long term. When required if BBQ on I give quick sear at hottest possible temperature alternatively I sear in very hot skillet.
Tendered than fillet and massive flavour. I provide a link to what I believe is one of the best article on cooking steak including a hanger steak recipe.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

John

I reckon the hanger steak is the best flavoured of all steaks.
The French call it "onglet" and it is commonly served with French fries.
However, I do not believe that a simple BBQ is the best way to cook it.
I prefer to "sous vide" it for 12 hours at 55C (132F). Use immediately OR store in fridge for few days OR freezer long term. When required if BBQ on I give quick sear at hottest possible temperature alternatively I sear in very hot skillet.
Tendered than fillet and massive flavour. I provide a link to what I believe is one of the best article on cooking steak including a hanger steak recipe.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

John

very interesting!

Yes, I cooked it on the hottest fire I could get, it came out tender as any steak I have ever had.

And it only took 15 minutes ;)

I also found out reading that it is very commonly used for fajita meat, and I can see that

Looks great! I love a hanger steak but only one restaurant around here serves them, and I've yet to see one at any of the stores.

Rub it up, give it a good sear and serve medium rare. Yum!

Very cool. I've been wondering for some time about hanger stark at RD. looks like it officially made the list!

Just for interest the steak on left is a prime rib eye grass feed and BBQed until medium rare. The steak on right is hanger steak cooked medium rare sous vide and seared only on BBQ.
Both excellent flavour except the hanger steak was superior. The six people sampling all preferred the hanger steak.

Steak_zps82693591.jpg

I love hanger steak. I like to just sear it over the hottest fire I can get rollin in my keg.

What is interesting is that the hanger steak is so ugly a butcher wouldn't display it in the window.
The ones I buy weigh around a kilo (2.2lbs) with only one on each steer. It has a tendon running lengthways that is slightly on one side and must be removed. So I get two pieces one wider than the other. I cut the thin bit into two steak and the larger bit into 3 steaks.
I enclose a photo from Wikipedia:
Hanger-steak-raw_zps23de25bf.jpg

Some cooks flatten the steak and cook it as a minute steak. I prefer to keep it chunkier and serve it sliced. It is also magnificent in a rare beef Thai salad - it copes easily with the lime, soy, chillie, garlic sugar, etc.in the Thai salad.
The video below is a good example of preparing the hanger to serve flattened.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqn_m3uAzbg"]The Hanger Steak - YouTube[/ame]
John

Back