• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rare & Med-Rare Un-Appreciation thread

This whole thread has got me hungry. I think I'll have a big arse MR rib-eye for dinner tonight.

I used to get twisted when I would make a beautiful medium rare rib roast and my in-laws insisted theirs be cooked to shoe leather. I finally came to the conclusion that if that's the way they like it then that's up to them. I now do 2 roasts when they come for dinner. One for Big Al and I cooked to medium rare, the other for the inlaws cooked to well done. To each his/her own.

I have to admit, I started this thread just as a joke because of all the crap Tim, Groundhog66, was getting because he thinks brisket is overrated. I thought I would take some heat off him. :-D

BUT, I do seriously prefer my steaks medium-medium-well. I don't mind a little pink. But those of you who like them basically just seared, well I don't get that.

My question is what don't you like about R-MR meat?

Mostly the squishy texture. Maybe it is all mental. But...

Thanks for not turning this into a flame fest, ... but that is sort of the pot I was trying to stir. :crazy:

To me, this pic is perfection for steak. If you tried it, I think you would change your tune, bro. :p

picture.php
IMHO that is the perfect steak !!

I used to get twisted when I would make a beautiful medium rare rib roast and my in-laws insisted theirs be cooked to shoe leather. I finally came to the conclusion that if that's the way they like it then that's up to them. I now do 2 roasts when they come for dinner. One for Big Al and I cooked to medium rare, the other for the inlaws cooked to well done. To each his/her own.

That's how I feel when people insist on covering up good coffee with cream, sugar, vanilla syrup, carmel, chocolate and whipped cream :)

Of course, if it's *$ then you need that stuff to make it drinkable. :fish2:

:behindsofa:

I hate it when I ask how do you like your steak? and the response is medium well or well done. It is a waste of good meat. I should just put a hot dog on for them, no problem cooking them well done, kinda like a crispy crust on a dog!

IMHO, Anything past medium might as well be beef jerky. Of course, if you have a really intensely fatty piece of meat the fat could offset the fact that the meat is dry like the sahara. My personal preference is medium rare, especially with a lean cut like a tenderloin. The flavor of the juice is great and you don't get that flavor once the juice is all cooked out.

A few years ago, I conducted an experiment:

A couple that we are very close to always insisted on having their meat cooked medium well. Anything less was unacceptable to them.

One night, I cooked two steaks, one medium well, and the other somewhere between rare and medium rare. Both steaks were seasoned identically.

I then blindfolded both of them, and they sampled a piece of the medium well meat, then they sampled a piece of the rare/medium rare meat.

The feedback was immediately unanimous- they loved the rarer meat, but thought the medium well was overcooked, dry, and flavorless.

When I took their blindfolds off, they were shocked to see what they had just eaten. I asked them to continue eating the medium well steak, but they wouldn't have any of it. They wanted the rarer meat, and they wanted it now!

Since then, they have never ordered or prepared anything but medium rare.

My point is this: The perception of a less cooked piece of meat is a visual turn off for some people. Yet, when they can't see what they are eating, they naturally prefer the moister, more flavorful less cooked meat.

I could add numerous comments, but I really think this story speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Back