MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Default What the hell is wrong with me?

Made it thru the fish fry with my sanity somewhat intact. But now the real insanity starts. Our church puts on a Christian rock concert with another area church every year. Two bands, starting around 5:00pm till about 9:00pm. They usually serve a buffet style dinner with burgers and dogs. This year they want to step up the food aspect, and do pulled pork sammies.

That's cool. But I'm the only one with any real BBQ experience, so I've been nominated to cook pork butts for 150-200 people, on my COS Chargriller smokin pro (one of the old church ladies offered to cook a couple in her crock pots if it would help). I can do 5, maybe six 8-9# butts at a time. I'm guessing this will take 16-20 butts to pull off.

My plan is to have it all done by the day before and pull/vacuum seal, than reheat in the bags with boiling water the day of the event, holding in roasters during service.

Any ideas for doing this better? Buying a bigger smoker is not in the plans right now, although if this comes off well, the church has talked about acquiring something to better handle this type of event.

https://www.facebook.com/events/345562692166045/

Old 05-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

Slap together a couple of UDS's or check and see if there are any Brethren in your area that would loan you theirs. They are easy to cook on... so there is not much of a learning curve... One cook prior and you would have it mastered.

Good Luck!
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

6-8 Hrs in smoke then in foil to be finished off in the oven should take you no more than 16 hrs to cook 8-10 Butts if you cook them 4-6 at a time.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

It may be time to seriously consider renting a smoker large enough to do it all that morning... Up at 4am, light fire, rub & inject butts, butts on around 5am, smoke like a banshee until about 2pm (perhaps foil along the way), foil and rest for a couple of hours, the have a huge pork pullin' party... Other than the renting part, this is how I've done it many times...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
It may be time to seriously consider renting a smoker large enough to do it all that morning... Up at 4am, light fire, rub & inject butts, butts on around 5am, smoke like a banshee until about 2pm (perhaps foil along the way), foil and rest for a couple of hours, the have a huge pork pullin' party... Other than the renting part, this is how I've done it many times...
That's what I would do. Far less chance of food poisoning.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

I'd say you would only really need 12-15 butts for that many people. I fed about 350-375 people at a church event last year and they ate 17 pork butts in 45 minutes...
Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Doesn't seem to be anywhere in the area that rents smokers. They all do grills.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

I think the lady with the crock pot has the answer.

I delivered meat & buns for 100 person graduation lunch a few weeks ago. Was 25 pounds of cooked meat which worked out to be 6 big ole butts.

We cooked a few days ahead of time and reheated in foil pans.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like I'll be doing 3 days of smokin, pullin, and vacuum sealing, than reheating the day of the event. Now I'm cooking beans too...

Gonna make the permanent baffle and tuning plate mod next week with a brisket cook to fine tune, but I need to make a new grate before then.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Got the mods done to the COS, running a little fire right now. Picked up the butts at Sam's club this morning. $1.40 a pound. Not bad.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

I suggest you get involved with your local BBQ assn. and offer to help others when they have big jobs and they will help you when you need them. We are all in this together, BBQ is a big fraternity willing to help, especially for charity events.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkQPine View Post
I suggest you get involved with your local BBQ assn. and offer to help others when they have big jobs and they will help you when you need them. We are all in this together, BBQ is a big fraternity willing to help, especially for charity events.
Next time I will do that. Want to get involved with Operation BBQ Relief here, as well as the GLBBQA. We're also planning some events (like a classic car show) where we'll open up the food sales to some local venders and just charge a space fee.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

First six butts cooking today. Been on since 7:15am...