MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
SteelSmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Default Side

Need a cole slaw recipe cooking some pit beef for the wife's employees and thought this would be a nice side so anyone willing to share recipe thanks.
SteelSmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've posted this several times, it's my favorite vinegar slaw recipe, and in fact the only one I make now:

One head chopped cabbage - no other vegies!
1/2 cup vinegar
6 tbs sugar
6 tbs canola oil
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried celery
1 tbs hot sauce.

Finely chop cabbage, compine all other ingredients in a Mason jar and vigorously shake till blended, pour over cabbage and refrigerate at least two hours. Stir occasionally and prior to serving with a slotted spoon.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

Never had any complaints with this one.
1 1/2 Cups mayonnaise
1/2 Cup white vinegar
1/3 Cup sugar
1 Tablespoon celery seed
salt and pepper -- to taste
1 Head green cabbage -- finely shredded
2 carrots -- finely grated

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Also check out the roadmap in q-talk as there are some recipes for sides there as well.

Here is a link to the slaw: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23734
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
FattyMac
Full Fledged Farker

I don't have exact measurements as make it by eye but I get rave reviews and it's dead simple

Pre-shredded coleslaw mix add plain white table sugar and a touch of salt, enough that the cabbage feels a little gritty after being tossed. Use about 3-1 sugar to salt. Drizzel with some cider vinegar, about 1 tsp per bag of mix. Let that sit for a few hours and the cabbage will wilt and release some liquid.
Mix in some mayo, make as mayo-y or not as you like.
For seasonings I use hot dry mustard (I like Keene's the best), lots of fresh ground black pepper and some Lawrie's seasoned salt.

It makes a great base to play around with. I've made a Honey Mustard version by adding honey and yellow mustard oddly enough. It goes really good with pulled pork. I would think that adding some of your rub as a seasoning would be really good with the pit beef.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

There is a Google Custom Search box at the bottom of every page. it searches only the BBQ Brethren site. I searched on Cole Slaw and came up with 10 pages of results, including many, many recipes.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote