MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #7441
Downtown Smokeout
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterpop View Post
Found a $10 drum on Craigslist today, formerly filled with Hawaiian Punch in a plastic sock liner. Just picked it up and cannot believe how well the old Weber dome lid fits like a glove. Stopped at the local hardware store to estimate total price for parts and was shocked at the cost of expanded metal for the coal basket - around $60! Is that about right or should I shop/scavenge around?
Rural King has 2' x 2' sections of expanded stainless for $21. Not sure how wide spread that chain is. But they do have an online site.

Weber Imperial Sequoia (restoration in progress)
Weber Platinum (The Green Lantern)
Weber OTS 22.5
Weber SJ
UDS (with more to come)
Cheapo gasser
Old Smokey ES (A gift, don't buy one)

Humble member of the Society for the Preservation of Authentic Royal Magical Rare Kaskaskian Peppers
Honor bound to protect, prepare, and serve
Downtown Smokeout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #7442
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

home depot has them for about the same price, so does ace.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #7443
HTGGUY
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterpop View Post
found a $10 drum on craigslist today, formerly filled with hawaiian punch in a plastic sock liner. Just picked it up and cannot believe how well the old weber dome lid fits Like a glove. Stopped at the local hardware store to estimate total price for parts and was shocked at the cost of expanded metal for the coal basket - around $60! Is that about right or should i shop/scavenge around?

i got a 4 x 8 sheet at a local steel yard for $30.00, 3/4" 18 gauge
HTGGUY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #7444
Colemanchu
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice! Thanks for the quick responses guys. Now if only I hadn't told my buddy I would help him hang some dry wall today I could get this thing finished.

As for the expanded metal I got some at HD yesterday 12 X 24" for 9 bucks each.
Colemanchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #7445
otterpop
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah - thanks guys for the quick pricing replies. Gonna check HD tomorrow.
Aloha
otterpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #7446
Diesel
On the road to being a farker

When looking for a drum does it matter if it was used as a food grade or if there was like a petroleum based undercoating inside like the one I have for free. What Im asking is can it be used or would this one be a burn barrel...
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #7447
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

I actually prefer the ones that held something like oil as they don't have the liner. A good long hot burn and get any missed spots with the weed burner, then a good wipe out with soap and water and they are perfect.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #7448
Diesel

So the one I have would be ok to use after its burned? They assured me that the drum is unlined.
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #7449
dboxx
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Temperature readings vs probe placement - below grate - on grate

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted. I built a UDS last winter and have been using it religiously ever since.

Recently I purchased a Maverick ET-73 digital probe to upgrade from my 12-inch turkey fryer thermometers.

Here's my dilema:

Both the turkey fryer thermometer and the Maverick read 212 on the money when tested in boiling water, however, on the smoker, I get the following:

- 12-inch installed bayonet style through side of smoker 1-inch below grate (center of drum directly under meat) reads 50-60 degrees hotter than the Maverick, which is installed using the provided clip on the grate.

Any ideas? a coworker suggested that the grate and the meat is acting as a heat sink, causing lower temps indicated on the Maverick.

I've seen folks around here who mount their Maverick probe in a block of wood resting on the grate; is this acting as an insulator against the above mentioned condition?

Thanks again for all the knowledge gained from this group!

Dave

Last edited by dboxx; 01-27-2011 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: spelling error
dboxx is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #7450
Downtown Smokeout
Full Fledged Farker

Depending on how wide your fire basket is, a few inches will give you that much variation. A probe that extends under the meat will read much hotter than one sitting next to the meat on the grate. Try testing it it without meat on the grill with the probe sitting above the probe in the same location. If your using some type of plate or pan to disperse the heat it would also cause this problem, because the part of the probe closest to the barrel will receive more direct heat from below than your probe will sitting closer to the center. Just want to varify that they are reading the same in the cooker, tie the two together with a piece of wire the next time you fire it up. Direct cooking has hot spots, always has, always will, the UDS does a lot to eliminate these problems, but nothings perfect.

Weber Imperial Sequoia (restoration in progress)
Weber Platinum (The Green Lantern)
Weber OTS 22.5
Weber SJ
UDS (with more to come)
Cheapo gasser
Old Smokey ES (A gift, don't buy one)

Humble member of the Society for the Preservation of Authentic Royal Magical Rare Kaskaskian Peppers
Honor bound to protect, prepare, and serve
Downtown Smokeout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #7451
otterpop
Full Fledged Farker

Just curious; do they both read 32° when immersed in ice water?
otterpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #7452
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
So the one I have would be ok to use after its burned? They assured me that the drum is unlined.
It should be fine, mine were former automotive grease barrels. BTW, I was born in Kingston, Pa.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #7453
moda253

Not sure about your thermometers but I refuse to use two therms in my rig. Why? Because one will make you second guess the other. Now of course you want to have some idea of what's going on with the temps in there. For me, I actually now prefer the turkey fryer therm. On the back of it is a nut na d you can turn that to calibrate it. I usually do the boiling water calibration but, some times I do the crushed ice in water calibration which is supposed to be more accurate.

For some reason I just tend to trust the dial therm more than the digital therms. However I am workign on buidling my own stoker which will rely on a digital therm. When that day comes I will only use that therm or I will be second guessing which one is right if I use two. That is if there is a difference between them.
In the end as long as the heat is low and the cook is slow I know what to look for when the meat is done.
moda253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #7454
dboxx
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the input,

I'm going to do some more experimenting over the weekend. I'll post if I figure anything out.

Dave
dboxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #7455
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I am doing my first run on my UDS right now. After first lighting the charcoal and waiting for the temp to come up, I was surprised that there was about 75 degrees difference between the thermometer in the center and the digital one over to the side. The two came closer together as the drum warmed up and began to stabilize but there was still about 50 degrees difference. After I put a 10 Lb. butt in the center, it has been chugging along with the center probe gauge reading 230 and the digital one off to the side reading 200. I have a Kingsford dome lid on mine and the outlet vent is almost in the center. I think the meat in the center helps distribute the temp since the heat is not just going straight up. Man this drum is amazing!! It has been burning steadily since 1:00 AM and it is now about 8:00. I love it!!
smokeyw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker