MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #31
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I couldn't agree more. Grill, smoke, roast, indirect, sear. So versatile. I too always say if I could only own one cooker it'd be a kettle hands down. When I'm standing there flippin burgers on my early 70's Red Head, the feeling I get, well it just don't get any more American than that!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #32
JDM46
is one Smokin' Farker

Weber kettles, sliced bread and night baseball..in that order, mho.:-d
JDM46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #33
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've cooked everything I grill or smoke on a kettle for over 30 years. Everything else, I cook on my second kettle. Never cooked anything over 20 lbs, though.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #34
GammaRei
Full Fledged Farker

Kettles are awesome~!

- G
GammaRei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #35
revkab
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
Tonight I cooked up some 2 inch thick prime sirloin steaks with new red potatoes, and a cast iron skillet of garlic mushrooms, all on my old standby, a '98 green Weber Mastertouch kettle.

I was thinking to myself, I could recreate this meal at so many places I like to spend time. There are kettles at my dad's place, at two hunting camps I frequent, at my sister's, and at several of my friends house. I also have a jumbo joe when the need arises on vacation.

If I have a bag of Kingsford, a handful of apple wood chunks, and an 18 1/2 or 22 1/2 inch Weber kettle in the area, I can cook most of the things I can think of.

I love kettles. They are so versatile.
See my post on "Chicken skins" http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...1&postcount=54
[COLOR=blue][B][SIZE=3]That Smokin' Preacher. Ribs and :mad2:[COLOR=red]Hot Peppers[/COLOR]:mad2:[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][LIST][*][B]WKG (Weber Kettle Grill)[/B][*][B][COLOR=navy]Brinkman heavy duty Cimarron offset[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=red]Custom built 72" x 40" Offset logburner[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=navy]One Butt Ugly Drum Smoker[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=black]One big tow-behind Wood-fired grill [/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=gray]and one itty bitty gasser[/COLOR] :doh:[/COLOR][/B][/LIST]
revkab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #36
tb80
Take a breath!

I remember my dad grilling on a Weber when I was a kid. We still have that same Weber at the ranch. I think it is a 1985 Weber. I now have multiple Webers and use them weekly.
tb80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #37
Papa Q
On the road to being a farker

I have a Weber OTG...22.5"...and I love it. There isn't a better grill to learn the basics of heat and smoke. I like to split the charcoal grate in half with a hickory split, lump on one side and a foil drip pan on the other; and use different woods on the lump for my smoke (the split always gives it some hickory). Then I just keep the exhaust vent over the meat so even though I'm cooking with indirect heat...the smoke has to travel right over what I'm cooking. Yep...love it!

Old 04-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #38
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

When I first found this site, I went out and bought a Weber 26. I learned how to smoke on it, control temps, fire, smoke, etc. I believe one should master the kettle before moving on to a bigger smoker. You just learn so much. I love my kettle and will keep it until the day I die. (I'd love to score a 70's era redhead someday - the grill, that is - ahh the nostalgia)
Shirley 54 Stickburner, Weber 26 Kettle, Backlit Blue Thermapen (not street legal), Blackstone Griddle, Lime 22" Kettle, Gray 22" Kettle, Blue SS Performer, Wine Fridge Cold Smoker, Redskins Smokey Joe, Weber Q, Weber Go Anywhere, & Weber Spirit
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #39
haunas
On the road to being a farker

I initially mainly used my kettle for grilling and just recently started smoking on it but wanted more capacity so went to an UDS. I do love my kettle/webers though. Got one in College which I gave to my roommates when I went into the military then in 29 stumps bought another weber and its been with me since, albeit banged up, dinged and wheels/legs modded so they stop falling. Controlling the temp for smoking was fun and now going to an uds it is so easy.
haunas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #40
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

I love my Weber kettles, and now love them even more since I got 18 and 22" round sets of GrillGrates! (and now a GrateGriddle!)

I probably use my BGE more just because it's on the deck though, sorry Weber!

In fact, just rescued one from someone's trash pile on the curb not long ago. Just need to replace the grates and the vent assy.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #41
aks801
is One Chatty Farker

Default Merkuh!!!

Absolutely gotsta chime in on this thread. Without question, the single most versatile outdoor cooker is the Weber kettle. In fact, right now it's the only thing in my line-up. I'll never get rid of it.
"Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true"
aks801 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #42
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

After the failure of the hog roaster in the back on the trailer, which by the way had a 200 lb piggy on it, we quickly got ALL of kettles together and fired them up, cut up the pig into manageable (pieces that would fit) onto the kettles. Disaster averted thanks to somebody having a few kettles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1157.jpg (87.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1158.jpg (68.4 KB, 25 views)
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->