Issues Seasoning Blackstone Griddle

Purdnost

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I attempted the first seasonings of a 28” Blackstone griddle and had a couple issues. I’m new to this, but I also did my best to follow the instructions that came with the griddle.

I used grape seed oil because it seemed to be the superior choice.

First, the griddle top didn’t blacken near the bottom edge:

312-B63-BC-90-CC-4-F9-C-9-D42-1-F0-EDB699303.jpg

Second, there are a couple of spots that chipped away while cleaning after cooking for the first time:

BB2-E30-CD-FA2-F-4439-9234-F24-BAF073-E70.jpg

E92-EF964-5-ACE-4-C15-BD29-ACE2-E5-EE84-F1.jpg

Third, there are a couple areas where the layer(s) of seasoning are raised:

2666-FEA8-791-D-448-A-92-D6-3-DD353-D47-D18.jpg

39-A3203-C-30-A1-4261-9556-840405773-ABE.jpg

Can these issues be remedied by doing more rounds of seasoning? And what about the area of the griddle that doesn’t seem to be getting enough heat?

Thanks for any insight.

Don’t make yourself crazy trying to season it to “perfection” you did the initial one, now just cook. Mine looks like it went through a war, cooks perfectly. As far the the bottom, are the burner tubes lit up completely at the bottom? Try unscrewing the propane, let it sit for a while then hooking it back up and turning it on. If not, I’d contact black stone. They were pretty quick when I had a problem before and was back up in no time.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Just start cooking on it.
At first, the fattier the better - bacon, sausage, etc.

Can’t speak to the blackstone. I have the blue rhino. However one side of mine is more seasoned since it gets much hotter, but it all cooks fine. As mentioned above, check the burners at the edge. Other than that, cook on it and it will continue to season up just fine. Don’t worry about the chips and raised surfaces

I agree, just cook on it.

Use only a light coat of oil applied with a paper towel, the seasoning doesn't set until you exceed the smoke point of the oil and hold it, then let it cool gradually. Repeating this process several times allows the oil to form a polymer base that will stand up to normal cooking situations.

agree. not worth chasing the white rabbit... throw some calories on the sucker and post some pics!

All of the above. I'm embarrassed to say that I was given one as a Christmas present and it sat in the box for almost two years before I used it. I didn't think I needed one. It's so fun to cook on. Try to keep it out of the elements and it will be just fine. Also, keep an eye out for accessories. Blackstone has some great accessories, and they won't break the bank.

The area near the front probably runs cooler, hence the color difference - mine does.

My seasoning routine consists of high heat to burn off the factory gunk, some water to steam off other dirt, then cook a bunch of onions until caramelized. Then a whole pack of bacon.

My cleaning procedure is a quick scrape with the spatula to remove loose material, then I squirt water on to loosen more dirt and use the spatula to work towards the grease drain. Might repeat again. Then I fold up a paper towel, squirt water on it, and work it over the surface with the spatula until it’s pretty cleanish. Then I shut off the burners and oil LIGHTLY when the top is still warm but not hot.

The cleaning process sounds like a lot but it takes about 2 minutes and I can get it clean quickly.

Eventually you’ll have a slick black top like this:

I have a chainmail scrubber I occasionally use as well...works great on cast iron and flat tops

link

Last edited:
I heated the oil to smoke point probably five times, but didn’t let it cool down at all between rounds. Is there a disadvantage to that, or will it be fine?

Tim, just start cooking on it.

Start with a load of bacon. You'll be good.

Don't overthink it.

Just keep cooking —- do some skillet potatoes. — they take longer to cook and will help keep the oil on the griddle and help the seasoning

I would do a mess of onions & potatoes then a slab of bacon & you should be good if the burners check out ok.

I've sanded down the griddle top and I've tried numerous different ways of seasoning it over the years. I've found that lard has been the best for seasoning. Thin layers of seasoning is key and not getting oil/fat to pool up in areas when you're seasoning it.

I agree with the comments above. Just keep cooking on it. I've tried chasing the "perfect" seasoning but it's just not worth it. It's a griddle at the end of the day. Toss some food on it and scrape it down and keep it out of elements. You'll be good.

If not used often lard will turn rancid, that's why I only use vegetable oil , same thing on cast iron , I have a lot of cast iron and with some not being used for 3-8 months it happens. V oil will just get dry/sticky

If not used often lard will turn rancid, that's why I only use vegetable oil , same thing on cast iron , I have a lot of cast iron and with some not being used for 3-8 months it happens. V oil will just get dry/sticky

That's strange. There is significant gaps between uses with my Blackstone and never once has it been an issue. Especially with the weather changes here in MN. I've tried vegetable oil, coconut oil, and flaxseed oil for seasonings. I've found lard to be the best and longest lasting with seasoning. Thin coats and no puddles is key to keep it seasoned.

Back