Dream Griddle Setup - No Propane Needed

How hard was it to control the temp? Did you use briquettes?

I used one chimney of KBB briqs and the wide side of my vortex to create a center hot zone on the griddle and a cooler outside ring for two-zone cooking.

I toasted the buns and reheated the bacon at the beginning before the griddle was too awful hot, and as it heated up, moved to the hashbrowns and finally the burgers.

Even at center, the griddle never got above about 480 which is fine for smashburgers.

I had hoped the vortex would provide this functionality for me, and it worked out even better than hoped.

I love my Hunsaker griddle with my 22. But it's not quite big enough.
I now have the 16 and just might have to get the griddle for it too.

Only thing I can see wrong is that beautiful wood table is gonna be a greasy mess.

Yeah, it is going to be a mess. I'll probably re-sand and coat the top every year or two.

Outstanding set-up! Are you going to seal/ finish the table?

It has one coat of spar varnish on it so far. Might add a second if I'm not too lazy. We've had too much rain here to do that lately. Took me a month just to get it built, sanded, and stained once due to all the rain.

I made something similar back in the day, not a griddle but discada that would fit over the edges of a 22"

EdaeM2.jpg

That thing is SWEET! I would love to have one of those someday. Asian, South American, and even some Eastern European cuisines rely on that style of cooking setup. I'd love to try.

Honestly have no idea. I never even heard of water jetted :wink:
https://www.flowwaterjet.com/

Use waterjet companies around here often for custom parts at work. Not that expensive and much less finish work than plasma/flame cut.

Thanks for your link to the place that's already marketing the griddle. They even make one that'll fit a Jumbo Joe :thumb:

Back