BWS Party help needed

HB-BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I just got a heat divertor for my BWS and I cannot figure out for the life of me where to weld the angle brackets to. Does anyone have a pic of theirs they could email or post here? I did speak to Mike this morning but where he told me to mount it doesn't add up and he did not have a picture available. Thanks Rob

If you move this thread over to the Woodpile, I could tell you where I think you should mount them. Hell, wait a few hours til I get home and I'll show you!! :twisted: :biggrin:

Good call in getting the heat divertor. It makes a huge difference in how long the water in the pan lasts. I have the divertors in my Fatboys and can go 8-10 hrs without having to refill water. Here is a pic of a heat divertor installation

100_1158.JPG

HB, go to the BWS site and look at the picture gallary. I know it has a good picture of a Fatboy and it's firebox with the heat divertor. Hope that helps, cause I don't have one in my Party - but would like to add one. Our Gator has one, but that's at my brothers house - 3+ hours away.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info IQUE that pic tells it all. One question, did yours come with the charcoal rack sitting on its own shelf as shown in the picture?
The reason I ask is mine came with the rack sitting loose on the tray.

Thanks for the info IQUE that pic tells it all. One question, did yours come with the charcoal rack sitting on its own shelf as shown in the picture?
The reason I ask is mine came with the rack sitting loose on the tray.

Thats the way the Party's are built. The raised firebox on rails is standard on the Fatboy model and up. You can get it as an option on the Party. Probably would be a fairly straight forward mod.

HB, here's what I did to make a basket for my Party.

Attachments

• SSPX0084.jpg
    SSPX0084.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 89
Thats the way the Party's are built. The raised firebox on rails is standard on the Fatboy model and up. You can get it as an option on the Party. Probably would be a fairly straight forward mod.
Right on thanks again for the info my friend.

HB, here's what I did to make a basket for my Party.
Cool mod KC thanks for posting that. I have wanted to stack more charcoal in there for longer cooks but it keeps falling out of the basket. I actually just got myself a sheet of expanded steel to play with last weekend. After seeing the spicewine basket mods here recently I really need to learn how to weld.

Bobby I meant to ask you before which guru are you using? I am trying to decide which one to get the one with the meat probes or just the basic one.

I just got the parts for my heat diverter and will have them installed shortly. I ahve the Guru Competitor w/10cfm fan and it works real well. Call the boys at Guru or go the website and you will have all the info you need.

I have the Pitminder with a 10 cm fan. Since I also have a Maverick, that works fine for me. Without a Maverick, the Competitor would be sweet - but I'd think you'd have to set the desired food temp a little lower since it would keep cooking in the BWS since it would retain a high majority of the heat.

Regarding the basket, I bent that by hand and used the needle nose to bend some of the metal back over other expanded metal to hold it into place. Takes about an hour to 90 minutes - wear leather gloves otherwise you'll look like you had someone pull barbwire through your hands by the time you are done.

put the sheet of expanded metal in a vice, then bend it over ...

it will make your edges 90 degrees, and you can make a basket in about 25% of the time. (and your hands won't hurt)

I found using the edge of my workbench worked better than my vice. What took all the time was trying to cut through the metal with tin snips - that's all I got. After the cuts were done, the rest was easy.

Awesome tips guys thanks and thanks for the Guru info. I was going to try cutting the expanded metal in a vise with an angle grinder fitted with a cutoff wheel. I also have a pneumatic cutoff grinder which may make it easier. I figured I would cut it into square pieces and then tie them together with safety wire. If that doesnt work good old JB weld should do the trick although I dont know what the max heat point is for it.

Excuse the rough drawing.

I measured, then cut the expanded metal like where I have the red lines in the image below. Bent the 4 sides, and doubled over the overhangs to the sides. Then took the needle nose and bent the ends of the expanded metal flaps over sides to keep in place.

Yeah, it's ugly - but very functional.

Attachments

• basket.JPG
    basket.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 42
Dang KC you are making it too easy for me. If our paths ever cross I am buying the beer.

Back