MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
mrjoe
On the road to being a farker

Arrow Wind Screen

Upon the advice of Harbor Master and some of the other members I built a wind screen. Not sure if its big enough for a 22.5" WSM. Considering going back to HD and buying 1 more panel to add. I'm really hoping to avoid HD, been there for various reasons like 8 times, since Friday morning.

Also, how much clearance should I have away from the smoker. The way its set up now its 6" away from the smoker at the closest part. It's that cheap pressed like MDF type of material. I usually smoke at 250-275, should I be concerned about flamablity, ect. I read online MDF could be toxic, but for my use I don't think its ever going to get that hot.

I usually have 2 fire extinguishers on hand, God forbid of an issue (knock wood) I probably will try it anyway next weekend while I sit by my window clutching a fire extinguisher ha (1/2 joking). Let me know what ya'll think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00515.jpg (32.2 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg CAM00516.jpg (20.2 KB, 303 views)
mrjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Enrico Brandizzi
Babbling Farker

I like that shield!

BBQness is on Youtube, Instagram & Flickr [/B]
Enrico Brandizzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

I doubt that you would ignite at that distance. May get warm but not hot enough to flame. How heavy would you say it is? I've been thinking about building one. Especially after Thursday. We had alot of wind.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
el_matt
Babbling Farker

That's a fine looking screen, I doubt you'll have any problaems. I'd touch the screen every so often, just to make sure it's not getting hot, especially down at the bottom. If the WSM acts like a UDS, and I'm sure it does, the bottom is going to be the hottest part. One more panel wouldn't hurt, but it might just be overkill.

Just my opinion, as I've never made a wind screen.

Matt

Old 11-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Mine would typically be 6 inches or less away. Not even an indication of scorching on the wood and they don't get too hot..
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Looking goood!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
mrjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blythewood BBQ'er View Post
I doubt that you would ignite at that distance. May get warm but not hot enough to flame. How heavy would you say it is? I've been thinking about building one. Especially after Thursday. We had alot of wind.
Thanks. in terms of weight I want to say maybe 25 to 30 pound range. The wood.pre-cut home depot 2x4s 1/2 inch thick, and its held together with 8 door hinges. I heard someone post on a site that they use the door hinges with the removable pin so it can easily travel to competitions if need be. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
mrjoe

Message edited

Old 11-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
mrjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_matt View Post
That's a fine looking screen, I doubt you'll have any problaems. I'd touch the screen every so often, just to make sure it's not getting hot, especially down at the bottom. If the WSM acts like a UDS, and I'm sure it does, the bottom is going to be the hottest part. One more panel wouldn't hurt, but it might just be overkill.

Just my opinion, as I've never made a wind screen.

Matt
Thanks Matt

Old 11-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
mrjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Mine would typically be 6 inches or less away. Not even an indication of scorching on the wood and they don't get too hot..
Thanks. Im thinking it will hold up, thanks for the help again.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
SmittyJonz

Do you have feet sticking out on both sides ? what keeps the wind from blowing it into the smoker?

Old 11-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
mrjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Do you have feet sticking out on both sides ? what keeps the wind from blowing it into the smoker?
Good question, I thought it was coming up on the small end, I could probably attach one more.2x4 to each end to.give it some closure.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #13
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Get a 2x4 and cut notches in two ends and lay over the top with the notches in the two opposing sides, thereby locking the panels together. It would be much more sturdy that way without compromising the portability of the system. Should be good for moderate winds. Good design and work!

Blessings,

Omar

Old 12-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
Blownmope

Welding blanket with a coat hanger to hold it up works very well and helps retain heat.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #15
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Just be sure to use gloves when handling the welders blanket. Fiberglass splinters suck. Wrapped mine up today due to a cold north wind:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3111.jpg (70.2 KB, 109 views)

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, low temp, low tempratures, wind screen, wind shield, winter, WSM