Used 22.5 WSM (vs kettle)

Score! Made the purchase. Near as I can tell, it was the perfect set of circumstances and today was just my lucky day. I'd take pics, but raining on me now and I'm no photographer to start. Will post my first cook on this thing. Appears to be in near perfect condition, model year 2013. Not even sure I want to clean this thing up at all. I've never smoked a fatty . . . maybe time. thanks to all for your pushes in the right direction!

Good for you :thumb:.

I didn't wait for mine to season in. I ordered some stuff from bbqgaskets.com before mine even got here to seal the door and got some extra for the lid. LOL!

Speaking of gaskets . . . do you all store your WSMs outside, uncovered? I ask because the fuel door doesn't fit tightly and the lid lip sits inside of the center ring vs outside. This design would seem to allow rain/elements to intrude. Any thoughts or problems here?

Score! Made the purchase. Near as I can tell, it was the perfect set of circumstances and today was just my lucky day. I'd take pics, but raining on me now and I'm no photographer to start. Will post my first cook on this thing. Appears to be in near perfect condition, model year 2013. Not even sure I want to clean this thing up at all. I've never smoked a fatty . . . maybe time. thanks to all for your pushes in the right direction!

Good choice :clap2:. If it doesn't work out there are probably 20 Midwestern bretheren who would take that back off your hands for what you paid for it :becky:, so there's no risk to you at all.

I paid full price for my WSM 22.5 a couple of years back and it's been more than worth it. The time I get back from not smoking on the kettle has paid me several times the purchase price.

Interesting "tight fit" comment. I've been eyeing these new for a while. The first thing I notice on showroom floors is the doors appear to be loose fitting. Is this by design, or is it a bad assembly, and is that the reason for your warning? thanks

Speaking of gaskets . . . do you all store your WSMs outside, uncovered? I ask because the fuel door doesn't fit tightly and the lid lip sits inside of the center ring vs outside. This design would seem to allow rain/elements to intrude. Any thoughts or problems here?

The doors suck. Just the case nothing you can do. There is a company that makes a stainless replacement door. Think its Cajun Bandit. Search the forums for WSM door replacement I am sure you will find a number of threads. That being said most WSM cooks just carefully mold it each cook to assure a decent seal. Others will forgo manipulating it to put foil in the cracks.

I would put it in the garage or shed when not in use to keep it out of the weather. The cover is an awesome investment and protects 90% of the cooker. Unfortunately your leg rivets and bottom grate tend to suffer.

Enjoy it! My advice will be to go and search "Minion Method" and find threads with it and the WSM. Once you learn this technique your burn times will increase 4 fold.

It originally came with a cover. I store mine outside utilizing one and I would recommend it. I would not worry about the fuel door. If it is a concern, just close a little aluminum foil around the edges. Seals right up. I own a few of these and they are great. I would ignore the temp on the lid, and measure at the grate level close to the food source. I drilled a chunk of smoking wood and inserted the probe from the digital thermometer.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html

I would go with a cover. Even a large trash bag will work. One good tip is to keep one bottom vent and the top vent open for storage to keep mold from forming when covered.

Congratulations on finding that good deal. Your going to love cooking on it.

Back