BBQ Brethren "Mini Fowl" Throwdown

Rotisserie Cajun Cornish Hens

In between traveling cross country and experiencing something people outside of Southern California encounter, known as “weather”, I have had to submit a quickie, make-do entry for this week. So while the location was by a bayou near New Orleans, due to it being dark before I got started, I ended up using the campfire ring rather than the beauty shot with the alligator in the background I would have preferred.

As I am in the heart of Cajun country, there was no way to go other than Cajun style. I used hickory-smoked bacon to try and do a more modest male and female variation of Thirdeye’s famous Lemon Implants Chicken( http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=929735&postcount=48). Visually it did not really work out, but boy it added some nice flavor, so thanks very much Thirdeye for that idea!

IMG_1715.JPG

Next, on went the Cajun rub and off to the mixed-wood fire they went. On the side, I prepared a crawfish cream sauce using crawfish tails, heavy cream, lots of garlic, some parmesan cheese and plenty of Cajun spice.
IMG_1716.JPG

To make sure the meal had a vegetable, I rounded out the dish with some tasty Zapp’s Voodoo Gumbo potato chips. You gotta love the little voodoo dolls on the package.

IMG_1728.JPG

While ridiculously delicious, this plated photo admittedly looks atrocious, so I will go for the first, in-action version above as my official entry.

--Jonny Rotisserie

I tried something a bit different and went with a North-African-themed dish.

I spatchcocked 2 rock Cornish hens, seasoned and grilled them. These were quartered and laid on a base of mock cous-cous with raisins and cilantro. On top was drizzled a sauce made of apricot jam, walnuts, raisins, whole apricots, cinnamon and star anise. Mint tea to drink, and for dessert I grilled halved dates, filled with cream cheese, and topped with a walnut. These were drizzled with honey.

IMG_5371-1.jpg

This was a lot of fun. Mini-fowl has got to be quail. It's the smallest thing I could catch, by catch I mean find at the Asian market. I marinaded these in two different ways. One is with an adobo spice blend and the other has ground chipotle. I pinned their legs together so they'd be lady-like (and that's what the youtube videos said to do) and then I skewered them and grilled them about 6 minutes per side. I thought of clipping their wings and frying them for the fried throwdown, but have come up with something meatier.

Because of their size, I thought they'd be perfect in poblanos. Here's my centerfold shot.

IMG_5393-1.jpg

Yes you did Gore one day I will learn to read..:icon_blush:

To make sure the meal had a vegetable, I rounded out the dish with some tasty Zapp’s Voodoo Gumbo potato chips. You gotta love the little voodoo dolls on the package.

IMG_1728.JPG

While ridiculously delicious, this plated photo admittedly looks atrocious, so I will go for the first, in-action version above as my official entry.

--Jonny Rotisserie
You've been to my Plating class!

I can't believe I missed this cutoff I did these Sunday. I need to take some Darnitall!

CIMG0522.JPG

I'll say and Quoting from Monty Phython's Life of Brian "Wren's livers, Wolfs nipple chips!" "Get them while they're hot"!

Next time they dressed to kill

Back