Rotel, ?

Smokin' D

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was just looking at a chili recipe in the Brethren recipe section and it calls for a can of Rotel. I don't know what this is. I googled it and what comes up is electronic equipment. That would be way to crunchy and expensive to use, so I assume Rotel is an edible component instead? Thanks for the help.

Rotel tomatoes, diced, w/ green chiles.
A staple in the Southwest and I always keep several cans on hand for many things.
Here is a picture and link.
http://www.ro-tel.com/product-original.jsp

rotel-original.jpg

Thank you very much. I'm in the Cold Northeast but am sure I can get this or something close.

rotel is a can of diced tomatoes and fixins for chile

Mix a can of RoTel, 1# of velveeta cheese and a crumbled up fatty together and you have the best dip you ever done tasted:-D

Thank you very much. I'm in the Cold Northeast but am sure I can get this or something close.

I get it here on Long Island at Stop n Shop and sometimes you can find a case of it at Sams or BJ's; if any of those are in your neck of the woods.

As per above, it is distributed by Con-Agra and that's how I got it at Stop n Shop- by pestering them to start carring it locally.:wink:

Always keep it on the shelf. For a great "apetizer" mix with Velvetta, melt and scoop up in corn chips. Now that's living!

Rotel is pretty hard to find up here in Vermont. I just dice up some hot peppers and onions to taste into some diced tomatoes for a substitute when I can't find any. It isn't a very sophisticated recipe.

If the grocery stores sell it up there you will most likely find it on the isle that has the canned tomatoes. You might check out the Super Wal-Mart too. It comes in mild, original, hot and extra hot (which has habeneros in it...love it). I've been having trouble finding the extra hot lately though.

Just went to the grocery store. There on the chopped tomato shelves was Rotel. Three or four different types. Thanks. Gonna try that dip, too.

Mix a can of RoTel, 1# of velveeta cheese and a crumbled up fatty together and you have the best dip you ever done tasted:-D

Amen. Make that Fatty a JD hot, specifically.

Serve with beans, eggs, tortillas for breakfast too.

They stuff it next to the Mexican Style foods here in the Styx.

Ought Ohhhhhh I love this place... Now to save to recipe bank...

If you are just learning about Rotel, try some chili on fritos. :biggrin:

If you are just learning about Rotel, try some chili on fritos. :biggrin:

The chili will be made tomorrow night for Saturday and the Frito's sound like a great way to get some crunch. Was also gonna make up some corn bread with a cheddar cheese and green chile filling. Just add some Dos Equiis Dark.
Perfection.

You are a very wise man, as this is one of my favorite party contributions. And by choosing between mild, regular or hot, you can tailor for your crowd.

Back