Freezing Turkeys - How Long?

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
What would be the max time in Deep Freeze for the typical Enhanced Turkeys that are on sale. $.49-$.69 /lb right now? 6 months?1 year? Thinking of stocking up on some since they are half the price of Chicken right now.

I bought a dozen or so already frozen last year when they hit $0.59 and held the last of them in the freezer for 10 months, did not notice any problems.

What would be the max time in Deep Freeze for the typical Enhanced Turkeys that are on sale. $.49-$.69 /lb right now? 6 months?1 year? Thinking of stocking up on some since they are half the price of Chicken right now.

Forever, as per the USDA.

We just smoked the last one bought last November. Went down nicely. Stocking up again.

Wife says 6 months for a self defrosting freezer and a year for a manual defrost type. I am thinking a chunk of meat the size of a turkey would not be bothered by the self defrosting cycle and go for a year ok..... But I'm not arguing with the wife, LOL

I usually stock up this time of year as well. I usually plan to have them all finished up by the next Thanksgiving. So, the longest I usually keep one in the deep freeze is for a year.

I got 8 in Chest Freezer and 1 in the Fridge 12-14 lbs range ran $7-$8 each. :grin:

Last edited:
Sorry auto correct got me. My local stores want you to spend 30 then you can buy one discounted bird. LA area

Weber you guys sticking up without the have to spend 30$ per bird?

Where are you guys stocking up without having to spend $30 a bird?

Sorry auto correct got me. My local stores want you to spend 30 then you can buy one discounted bird. LA area

For us here in the southeast, it's just our (upscale) regional grocery, Publix generic store brand available as plain or enhanced, frozen. From about now thru new years' they usually have 12-15 pounders around $0.59 or +18 pounders for a little less, two per customer per visit. I don't shop at Walmart but I've heard about the same deal. Already have 4 in the freezer and 2 rain checks.

The current Ingles add for my area says turkey for .47 a lb limit 1 with a 50 dollar purchase... Kroger has them for .69 limit 2 with no other restrictions.

Maybe cheap turkey is making up for lack of decent brisket???

Walmart here has (enhanced) Riverside Brand ???? for $.59/lb frozen - no limits. I bought 4 brought home to check freezer space and went back and bought 5 more.

Back