• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Please vet my idea on a sauce receipt

SC_Dave

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a vinegar based sauce I use for butts, chicken etc. It's thin like a basting sauce. I want to modify it some to use as a finishing sauce/glaze for ribs. Is it reasonable to add corn syrup to my existing sauce receipt to accomplish this?
David

Yes, it is reasonable to do that, watch the sweetness.

I like to use pure corn syrup, not Karo or other cheaper products, as they have flavorings added. You can also use other sugar based syrups. To do similar without added sweetness, you can use powdered arrowroot, which gives a nice thickening and sheen, without added sweetness.

I do a similar thing except mix with honey instead of corn syrup. I think the honey gives it more depth.

I'm from Sardis, across Lynches river from you and I bet our sauce is similar. I use powdered Arrowroot and it thickens without impacting taste.

I'm from Sardis, across Lynches river from you and I bet our sauce is similar. I use powdered Arrowroot and it thickens without impacting taste.

I'll bet so! You in Lexington now?
David

Yes, I live in Lexington now and am slowly converting them from mustard sauce to vinegar pepper sauce. Still have farm in Sardis, so I get down there occasionally.

I add either honey or maple syrup. Honey if you just want it sweeter (plus a flavour change). I think maple syrup adds a loverly flavour with some sweetness.

If you are going to use corn syrup, use light. I use corn syrup, honey, and some molasses, to equal the amount of whichever one you might use alone. I also add some cherry preserves, just enough to get a faint hint of cherry. I don't have measurements, because I don't measure, just keep adding stuff until it tastes right.

I also don't cook it, just mix it up with a stick blender.

Back