BBQ Classes

bigbeef24

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Is is better to attend a live BBQ class or has anyone tried the Pit Bulls up in smoke bbq online school? Im trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS

Hmmm never heard of a online bbq school before. Sounds like a okay idea i guess if you could make your way to a "live" one. Anyone around here done Pit Bulls online school?

All you have to do is use the search bar you can learn allot right here for free on line.

I would start with what you can find on line. One series that was posted here recently is Aaron Franklin's productions with the local PBS station in Austin TX. (Just to go youtube and search his name. Heck, I can do that too: http://www.youtube.com/feed/UC556b-Cl0Fp02iMc96yoJbg )

Like any other material you find, his way is not the only way but his techniques work for him and seem to be well presented.

I highly suggest following the threads here about anything that interests you. There will be a variety of techniques usually in the same thread and again, most of them will be good techniques. You can try them out and see what you like.

I can't speak to cooking classes, but I wonder if the money wouldn't be better spent buying some meat and cooking it. ('The kids' took a cooking class or two and really liked it so I could be wrong.)

I think most BBQ classes are geared for competition BBQ.

I've taken some, but them I compete too.

If you're just looking for somewhere to learn about generally great BBQ and even specifics as far as how to cook any kind of Q or on what to do it, look no further because you're here. I came here in June of 2009 with ZERO experience and quite literally learned all I needed to to get started. Since, I've developed a whole lot of experience and have learned from that, which is really the best way to learn, by DOING.

This place is a wealth of combined THOUSANDS of years of BBQ experience. There's not a question you can ask that cannot be answered here.

I know about Pit Bull's class, but nothing specific. If you're thinking of competing there are other classes online like his but a hands on, in person class is invaluable.....for competition BBQ, which is pretty far removed from backyard BBQ.

I signed up for Pitbull's class (and as an aside, if you use my name as a reference, you can save 10%). I can't really travel to too many "live" classes, so that's why I signed up for the online class. If you can get over the strange video editing and background music in some spots, I'd say it's worthwhile. I plan on using his chicken technique in the next KCBS competition I cook in.

I'm sure it's not the same as going to a hands on class, but I also like the fact that if I ever need a "refresher" on how to do a certain thing, I can pull up the video and watch it again.

Edit: The Pitbull's school is for competition BBQ, so if you're just looking to cook at home use the search tool here, or just ask a question. This place pretty much taught me everything I know about BBQ.

Im looking to compete for the first time this year. With my work it is hard for me to travel for a class because I would like to use time off to compete.

Not to derail your post, but it you are just getting into competition, I would hold off on the class. Buy a few books, Serious BBQ by APL and Wicked Good BBQ, are two of my favorites, spend some time here and on youtube, and practice. Come up with a plan and cook your plan. See how you do. After finding your own groove, then try taking a class to see what else is out there. I think too many people go to competitions and cook someone else's recipe, and don't have the ability to adjust when they need to. For full disclosure, I suck at competitions, so take everything I say with a boulder of salt.

Some of that choice will depend on what kind of learner you are. Some folks can see or read something and it makes sense and they can do it. Other folks, learn best by doing and feeling and smelling etc. If you are the latter kind of person an online class might fall short of what you need.

join your local BBQ Organization. MABA looks to be in your area, and see if they offer any classes and jump on in!

Back