Boxes from Smokin On the Bay Part 2

K-Train

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Here are our boxes from Smokin On The Bay this past weekend. I'll give you our appearance scores since you can't taste it. But just on appearance any hints would be appreciated. Would like to bring up those 8's and 7's.
Chicken 9,8,9,9,9,9
Ribs 8,8,8,8,7,9
Pork 8,7,8,9,8,9
Brisket (ouch) 6,7,7,8,7,7
4dde8e8a.jpg

e54ca265.jpg

2972083a.jpg

811d5333.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are our boxes from Smokin On The Bay this past weekend. I'll give you our appearance scores since you can't taste it. But just on appearance any hints would be appreciated. Would like to bring up those 8's and 7's.
Chicken 9,8,9,9,9,9
Ribs 8,8,8,8,7,9
Pork 8,7,8,9,8,9
Brisket (ouch) 6,7,7,8,7,7
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj575/KTremel/4dde8e8a.jpg
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj575/KTremel/e54ca265.jpg
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj575/KTremel/2972083a.jpg
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj575/KTremel/811d5333.jpg
Really good looking boxes. Nice job!!!!!

Chicken. More parsley! Meat needs to setup higher. Also turn 90 degrees so it's 2 rows of 3. Try to even out the rub, looks a little blotchy.

Ribs fill the box if you can. Put the single at the back. Looks good otherwise.

Pork? Try slicing money muscle. Put pulled together and chunks separate. Pulled looks dry. Needs juices or sauce or both.

Brisket - trim the flat to fit the box before cooking. You don't want chopped off ends and bottoms of slices.

Brisket - trim the flat to fit the box before cooking. You don't want chopped off ends and bottoms of slices.

I'm with you on the not trimming the bottom of the flat, but depending on the arrangement of the box I don't think that trimming the sides hurts the appearance score any.

With that being said, the front piece of brisket looks as though it has fingerprints on it from where it was picked up and put in the box.

I'm with you on the not trimming the bottom of the flat, but depending on the arrangement of the box I don't think that trimming the sides hurts the appearance score any.

With that being said, the front piece of brisket looks as though it has fingerprints on it from where it was picked up and put in the box.

I agree. Don't trim the bottom of the flat. We have also trimed the ends and it has never really impacted our appearance scores any. It's difficult to see how the front piece looks in the picture. If it looked dry, that may have been the cause for your low scores.

The layout of the brisket pieces looks good to me. I like being able to see a little of each piece. If the pieces are stacked close together, you don't really know what the overall "box" looks like other than the first piece. Kinda like, "What's behind door #2, 3, 4"' etc....

I agree, don't cut so much off the bottom.

Still, looks good to me.

wallace

I agree. Don't trim the bottom of the flat. We have also trimed the ends and it has never really impacted our appearance scores any. It's difficult to see how the front piece looks in the picture. If it looked dry, that may have been the cause for your low scores.

Reading this made me realize I forgot to add a jus to the brisket slices. This was our first time doing a peoples choice. I helped get the box started then turned my attention to PC. Lesson learned, Phark peoples choice until the last box is complete. Thanks for all the tips.

Reading this made me realize I forgot to add a jus to the brisket slices. This was our first time doing a peoples choice. I helped get the box started then turned my attention to PC. Lesson learned, Phark peoples choice until the last box is complete. Thanks for all the tips.

The rule around my camp is: Fark people's choice. Like you learned, my comp entries usually suffer to some degree when we do PC so I have sworn it off.

+1 on the PC, I'll never do a PC again. That's what I would recommend on the brisket, run it though some drippings before putting it in the box. Chicken looks great just clean up the BBQ smudges on the box. Ribs, I like to do 4x4, but I think if I did a box like yours I might have switched the direction of the ribs on the back row, put the pull back towards the back. Really try to get as many off the same slab as possible. With the 4x4 you can usually find four off the same slab that look great up front. Pulled looks a little dry. Something we like to do us spritz the whole box with some water before we close the lid.

+1 on the PC, I'll never do a PC again. That's what I would recommend on the brisket, run it though some drippings before putting it in the box. Chicken looks great just clean up the BBQ smudges on the box. Ribs, I like to do 4x4, but I think if I did a box like yours I might have switched the direction of the ribs on the back row, put the pull back towards the back. Really try to get as many off the same slab as possible. With the 4x4 you can usually find four off the same slab that look great up front. Pulled looks a little dry. Something we like to do us spritz the whole box with some water before we close the lid.

We spritz . Not sure if that picture was taken before or after the spritz. Perhaps I need to spritz a little more because the picture does make it look dry. Thanks.

Thanks for all the feed back. Now I wish we weren't shutting it down for the season. Seems like you always want to get "just one more" in.

Thanks for all the feed back. Now I wish we weren't shutting it down for the season. Seems like you always want to get "just one more" in.

We are the same way. I would love to do just one more this year.

Curious how the heck you get the chicken thighs to look so "rectangular"? Ours tend to have a more "triangular" shape. Those look perfectly matched.

Curious how the heck you get the chicken thighs to look so "rectangular"? Ours tend to have a more "triangular" shape. Those look perfectly matched.

Cut the knuckle off the bone and trim the Fark out of them. Or that is at least how I do it.

Cut the knuckle off the bone and trim the Fark out of them. Or that is at least how I do it.
That's what I do. Then after trimming them I come back and look at them all again. It takes me about 2 hrs to prep 15 or so thighs.

That's what I do. Then after trimming them I come back and look at them all again. It takes me about 2 hrs to prep 15 or so thighs.

Combine your Chicken and Pork score with my Ribs and Brisket at smokin on the bay and we would come in 8th...lol

That is why... it takes me 20 minutes to do 16 thighs... but our chicken hasn't suffered any noticeable dings in scores... (not a hijack) but here is a chicken box that has recently scored top 5.
IMG_5820.jpg

Back