MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

Default Boxes from Smokin On the Bay Part 2

Here are our boxes from Smokin On The Bay this past weekend. I'll give you our appearance scores since you can't taste it. But just on appearance any hints would be appreciated. Would like to bring up those 8's and 7's.
Chicken 9,8,9,9,9,9
Ribs 8,8,8,8,7,9
Pork 8,7,8,9,8,9
Brisket (ouch) 6,7,7,8,7,7

WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett

Last edited by Ron_L; 09-04-2012 at 08:41 PM..
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
BABYGOTBUTT
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
Here are our boxes from Smokin On The Bay this past weekend. I'll give you our appearance scores since you can't taste it. But just on appearance any hints would be appreciated. Would like to bring up those 8's and 7's.
Chicken 9,8,9,9,9,9
Ribs 8,8,8,8,7,9
Pork 8,7,8,9,8,9
Brisket (ouch) 6,7,7,8,7,7
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...l/4dde8e8a.jpg
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...l/e54ca265.jpg
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...l/2972083a.jpg
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...l/811d5333.jpg
Really good looking boxes. Nice job!!!!!
BABYGOTBUTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Chicken. More parsley! Meat needs to setup higher. Also turn 90 degrees so it's 2 rows of 3. Try to even out the rub, looks a little blotchy.

Ribs fill the box if you can. Put the single at the back. Looks good otherwise.

Pork? Try slicing money muscle. Put pulled together and chunks separate. Pulled looks dry. Needs juices or sauce or both.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Brisket - trim the flat to fit the box before cooking. You don't want chopped off ends and bottoms of slices.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Brisket - trim the flat to fit the box before cooking. You don't want chopped off ends and bottoms of slices.
I'm with you on the not trimming the bottom of the flat, but depending on the arrangement of the box I don't think that trimming the sides hurts the appearance score any.

With that being said, the front piece of brisket looks as though it has fingerprints on it from where it was picked up and put in the box.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
dosvans
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Valley BBQ View Post
I'm with you on the not trimming the bottom of the flat, but depending on the arrangement of the box I don't think that trimming the sides hurts the appearance score any.

With that being said, the front piece of brisket looks as though it has fingerprints on it from where it was picked up and put in the box.
I agree. Don't trim the bottom of the flat. We have also trimed the ends and it has never really impacted our appearance scores any. It's difficult to see how the front piece looks in the picture. If it looked dry, that may have been the cause for your low scores.
- 18.5" WSM
- Yoder YS640
- 22" Weber Kettle w/Smokenator
dosvans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

The layout of the brisket pieces looks good to me. I like being able to see a little of each piece. If the pieces are stacked close together, you don't really know what the overall "box" looks like other than the first piece. Kinda like, "What's behind door #2, 3, 4"' etc....

I agree, don't cut so much off the bottom.

Still, looks good to me.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosvans View Post
I agree. Don't trim the bottom of the flat. We have also trimed the ends and it has never really impacted our appearance scores any. It's difficult to see how the front piece looks in the picture. If it looked dry, that may have been the cause for your low scores.
Reading this made me realize I forgot to add a jus to the brisket slices. This was our first time doing a peoples choice. I helped get the box started then turned my attention to PC. Lesson learned, Phark peoples choice until the last box is complete. Thanks for all the tips.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett

Old 09-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

Quote:
Reading this made me realize I forgot to add a jus to the brisket slices. This was our first time doing a peoples choice. I helped get the box started then turned my attention to PC. Lesson learned, Phark peoples choice until the last box is complete. Thanks for all the tips.
The rule around my camp is: Fark people's choice. Like you learned, my comp entries usually suffer to some degree when we do PC so I have sworn it off.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

+1 on the PC, I'll never do a PC again. That's what I would recommend on the brisket, run it though some drippings before putting it in the box. Chicken looks great just clean up the BBQ smudges on the box. Ribs, I like to do 4x4, but I think if I did a box like yours I might have switched the direction of the ribs on the back row, put the pull back towards the back. Really try to get as many off the same slab as possible. With the 4x4 you can usually find four off the same slab that look great up front. Pulled looks a little dry. Something we like to do us spritz the whole box with some water before we close the lid.
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

I'd give the beef an 8 and 9's for all others, wow they we're tuff on brisket

Old 09-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Man View Post
+1 on the PC, I'll never do a PC again. That's what I would recommend on the brisket, run it though some drippings before putting it in the box. Chicken looks great just clean up the BBQ smudges on the box. Ribs, I like to do 4x4, but I think if I did a box like yours I might have switched the direction of the ribs on the back row, put the pull back towards the back. Really try to get as many off the same slab as possible. With the 4x4 you can usually find four off the same slab that look great up front. Pulled looks a little dry. Something we like to do us spritz the whole box with some water before we close the lid.
We spritz . Not sure if that picture was taken before or after the spritz. Perhaps I need to spritz a little more because the picture does make it look dry. Thanks.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett

Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for all the feed back. Now I wish we weren't shutting it down for the season. Seems like you always want to get "just one more" in.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett

Old 09-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Thanks for all the feed back. Now I wish we weren't shutting it down for the season. Seems like you always want to get "just one more" in.
We are the same way. I would love to do just one more this year.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Curious how the heck you get the chicken thighs to look so "rectangular"? Ours tend to have a more "triangular" shape. Those look perfectly matched.