Chickens...big and small!

jpw23

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Fixed a half dozen cornish game hens, a beer can chicken and a couple of fatties:biggrin:
All the birds, rubbed down with evoo and plowyboy's yardbird rub.
chic1.jpg

Game hens after cooking.
chic3.jpg

Beer can bird.
chic4.jpg

A couple of fatties rolled in DDogs apple rub.
fatty1.jpg

Also had scalloped taters, stuffing, cheescake and a peanutbutter/chocolate cake.

looks tasty! I need to try out my beer can rack soon here. So I take it it is the standard 225-250 and pull it when the thigh hits 170?

looks tasty! I need to try out my beer can rack soon here. So I take it it is the standard 225-250 and pull it when the thigh hits 170?
That's what I did....pretty good!:biggrin:

Looks good brother, Now don't laugh but I don't think I have ever eaten cornish game hen. I have read several post that they are mentioned in. I was wandering what sets them apart from a reg. chicken?:confused:

Looks good brother, Now don't laugh but I don't think I have ever eaten cornish game hen. I have read several post that they are mentioned in. I was wandering what sets them apart from a reg. chicken?:confused:
I'm not really sure....just little chickens I guess:biggrin:

I'm not really sure....just little chickens I guess:biggrin:
Well ok then, do they cook quicker, taste any different, or are they just pretty to look at. Your going to tell me to cook some and see for myself aren't you.:biggrin:

Well ok then, do they cook quicker, taste any different, or are they just pretty to look at. Your going to tell me to cook some and see for myself aren't you.:biggrin:
Well...they do cook quicker....taste pretty much the same and they are pretty to look at:biggrin:

nice job on the birds, I made a couple of beercan chickens too, but for somereason or the other it came out bland, had plenty of rub (basic), my smoke flavor was really mild...the beer really made it moist.

Cornish Hens aren’t necessarily female as the name implies. They can also be known as Cornish Game Hens or Rock Cornish Hens. They were created in the 1950’s as a single serving chicken. They are the result of the cross breeding of multiple poultry varieties. They are "harvested" when the chicks are 4-5 weeks old.

Instead of a 12 oz can, I've used those little cans of 7Up, Sprite, or Dr. Pepper in Cornish Hens. I think they are 4-6 oz cans. Something like that. Kiddie sized.

I like to use thost little cans that orange or apple juice come it... perfect fit for the game hens...

James.

Back