Pork Butts for comps

BBQ_Mayor

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey brothers. A friend of mine bought a pork butt at Walmart. I had planned on cooking it at a comp but have a question about if it's legal.

Only reason I question it, is because if says Pork Butt Roast. Is the roast the same thing? sorry, probably a stupid question, but thought I would bring it up so I'm safe at the comp.

Thanks Bros.

Got a pic ??

The label that the store uses is not as critical as what's in the cryovac. They can call anything a "roast".. it's a meaningless term in regards to a cut of meat.. It's a cooking method, not a type.

Sounds to me like it's fine.

Got a pic ??

The label that the store uses is not as critical as what's in the cryovac. They can call anything a "roast".. it's a meaningless term in regards to a cut of meat.. It's a cooking method, not a type.

Sounds to me like it's fine.

Sorry. no pic..It's a Tyson brand. I know a few teams that use the Tyson brand picnics but not the boston butts. My guess, is that I'm good. If not, I'll cook it another day.

You're good to go, Ray. Make sure the weight is 5 lb or more. See ya at the fairgrounds!

I think Memphis rules dictate what cut of meat you must use (whole shoulder = picnic + butt). I think Kansas City rules simply state that it needs to be pork (most folks smoke just the butt portion of the shoulder).

Back