Thai Butt

rfoote35

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Has anyone done a Thai pork butt. I was thinking that it might be a good idea. Maybe injecting with a coconut curry injection and rubbing with a slurry of the usual Thai spices. It seems like the flavors would meld together well. Just seeing if anyone has had either a good or bad experience doing something like this.

Just my $01, but my concern with a piece of meat as large as a butt is the flavors of the spices would be diluted due to the high ratio of non seasoned meat vs low quantity of seasoned outer bark.

Most meat in Thai dishes is either stewed as in curries, or grilled. I think you will get way more flavor mileage using a spice slurry on smaller, thinner cuts of beef, pork, or chicken than on a butt. You could also try it on ribs, which I've done successfully in the past. Base ingredients I commonly use for this kind of wet rub or paste include serrano chiles or Thai bird, cilantro, mint, garlic, ginger, sea salt, soy and fish sauce.

I came in here thinking something else (well hoping). I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Could do a Thai Pepper Beef variation as well. That gives me some ideas.

Just my $01, but my concern with a piece of meat as large as a butt is the flavors of the spices would be diluted due to the high ratio of non seasoned meat vs low quantity of seasoned outer bark.

Most meat in Thai dishes is either stewed as in curries, or grilled. I think you will get way more flavor mileage using a spice slurry on smaller, thinner cuts of beef, pork, or chicken than on a butt. You could also try it on ribs, which I've done successfully in the past. Base ingredients I commonly use for this kind of wet rub or paste include serrano chiles or Thai bird, cilantro, mint, garlic, ginger, sea salt, soy and fish sauce.

All the more reason to say"Fark it.I'm going to try anyway".Then on the next one somebody(providibg we get feedback)does we can combine all our knowledge to prefect it.:noidea:

I know that I could get more mileage from thinner cuts of meat but this is true of any rub and or injection. The flavors of my Thai cooks are intense and I will be amping them up for the smoke. I will be making a sauce that will reinforce the rub and injection and serve with a Thai salad and maybe a pickle of somesort. I will keep you posted.

I think basic Thai wet rub/marinade would be cilantro root(use stems) white pepper and garlic pounded(food processor) together to form a paste.

Thai anything is great, good call, can't wait to hear/see how it comes out!

Success

The butt went well.
I made a mixture of coconut milk, fish sauce, aheap of red curry paste and ground galangal. I used a strainer to get the big bits out and used the liquid to inject. I used the thicker mixture to rub.
It sat over night and I smoked with cherry at 275ish.
I made a sauce with coconut milk, red curry paste, lemongrass stalks, galangal, fish sauce, keffir leaves, and Thai chillis.
I let it simmer and then strained. I pulled the pork and mixed the sauce in and put in a cast iron skillet on the Kamado for a bit. I put tortillas on to warm and served the meat with Cilantro and Thai Basil.
It was very flavorful and will be enjoyed as leftovers for a while.

Last edited:
I can't see the flavours working, but I'd be curious to try it. I've also been trying to find more exotic recipes

Back