Pizza on my Weber...ideas

iceman78

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am wanting to do my first pizza in one of my Webers...maybe the "new" Performer. I am looking for a good recipe for the crust as I have never made a pizza before. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated and tried!

And yes Jack, I will invite you so you don't virtually talk chit again... sorry about the MOINK balls!

Had the best luck buying dough @grocery store - making it yourself is good, but you really have to have the right flour, etc.

One idea that has worked well: Stretch out the dough (it takes some time - and don't worry about the shape) and put it on for a minute or two on both sides, THEN put your ingredients on - that way its easier to handle and seems to cook better, at least in my experience. Good luck and let us know how it turns out...

The best thing Ive done is put the pizza stone on some fireplace bricks on their sides to get it up off the grate.

I use homemade dough off of the Red star yeast website. Just make sure to use Bread flour or other high gluten flower. Then Prego Marinara (sp-1) spiced to taste.

Use a Pizza stone and parchment paper makes it easy to move the raw dough. Let the stone preheat.

I had a hard time using firebrick under the stone as it caused hot and cool spots. I have and egg now and use the platesetter with 3/4" SS spacer blocks.

I did my first pizza on a Weber tonight using the fire bricks to raise the stone and also found it had hot spots.I bought my dough from a local pizza joint for $5,enough for 2 large pies.The temp at the grill was 525 and the dome was 450.

I do mine on the Weber kettle with a hot offset fire and about 4 briquets under the pie. I use a dough I get from a good pizza place stretched very thin. I do one side for a couple of minutes or so (until it begins to bubble. then I pull it off, flip it sauce and cheese it and back on the grill and put the cover on. I rotate the pie frequently and pull it when the crust starts to char and the cheese is melted. Good luck.

When I do pizza I do individual ones about 8 inches in size rubbed with evoo then direct on the coals on both sides for a minute then add sauce,toppings and cheese then indirect till done. I also saut'e the veggies and meat beforehand.

I too have had good luck with store bought dough. I stretch it out very thing, see through in some spots, typically in a square. I olive oil and season side one of the dough and then put it down on a mature set of coals/direct heat. I have had the best luck when I get get the grill 6" or better above the fire. Side one doesn't take too long, maybe 3 or 4 minutes. I flip it and then add sauce (I typically warm it on the side) cheese and other toppings. It helps to have one person flip the dough and a 2nd person sauce so you can get the toppings on quickly. It yields a very crisp crust and the keeping the toppings thin (i.e. not gooped on) makes for a nice blend of the crunchy crust and a blend of flavors from the toppings.

We have had good luck with a simple red sauce topping, a blend of 3/4 mozarella and 1/4 feta and arugala. We grill these up when we go camping and it's a big hit.

I would use store bought dough for the first try, go thin on the crust and light on the toppings.

Ok, this has never let me down... Infact here is the last one I did on my grill, but since I only took a cell phone picture after I pulled it out of the grill..... It Never Happened..lol.. :shock:
cid__0109002146.jpg

Ingredients
1 package active dry yeast, 1 cup warm water, 2 cups bread flour (i use reg flour) 2 tablespoons olive oil (i've used canola) 1 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons white sugar
Directions
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy/milky, about 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, olive oil, salt, white sugar and the yeast mixture; stir well to combine. Beat well until a stiff dough has formed, (but dont over beat). Cover and rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface. Form dough into a round and roll out into a pizza crust shape. Cover with your favorite sauce and toppings and and place on the grill untill golden brown. About 20 mins or so. I got my 2nd pizza stone at a local store for about $15. Just dont get it we while it is hot or it will crack on ya...lol Hope this helps:lol:

When I make pizza I just use the store bought like pillsbury crust, cook it for a couple of minutes before putting your toppings on. I use parchment paper and a pizza stone, but really if you want any of my thoughts on it just ask when you call to invite me. I'm so excited, pizza on a weber and I don't have to cook dinner for once. (I love my wife, just not her cooking)

This is the one I use. I use the bread machine to get it done.
It tastes great and cooks up nice.

• 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
  • 3 cups of Gold Medal Better for Bread flour
  • 1 teaspoon of sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 2-1/2 teaspoons regular active dry yeast or 2-1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast or quick- acting active dry yeast

• Place all dough ingredients in bread pan in the order listed.

We used to make our own pizza dough, or buy dough from a pizzeria, but we just tried the Pillsbury Thin Crust pizza dough in the cardboard cans from the supermarket, and it is very good.

I have never done pizza on my weber, but i have put firebricks on my gas grill and cooked pizza on it and it came out great. Just make sure you get the stones very hot. Ideally 600-700 degrees. And the pizza cooks very fast. Only a couple of minutes.

Back