Cherry Wood - my favorite

I've never tried just straight fruit wood on its own. I'm always afraid if there is not some hickory wood in there it just will not taste like barbecue. My next brisket I'm going to try pecan and cherry. I may have my wife hide my hickory so I am not tempted to throw a piece in there.:biggrin1:

I use a mixture of pecan and cherry on brisket......you'll like it.

In New England we have what I call black cherry. I don't believe it actually bears fruit but might be wrong on this. I have used that and had good results

I love cherry wood. I usually use a mixture of cherry and apple. Cherry gives great color to pork.

The combination of hickory and cherry is fantastic on salmon!! I've done side by side blind taste tests of smoked salmon (hickory, hickory & apple, hickory & cherry) and the cherry combo is the top pick by every person who tasted it (not just me)

I haven't used hickory too much but I do like the flavor as well. I have not mixed woods and it sounds like I need to try!

Cherry is great...love it. I do like mesquite but I try to take it easy and not over do it. I'm a big fan on cherry wood on ribs

In New England we have what I call black cherry. I don't believe it actually bears fruit but might be wrong on this. I have used that and had good results

Yes, when I refer to Cherry......I'm referring to Black Cherry. I'm unfamiliar with any other cherry. It grows wild in Arkansas and it's harvested for hardwood lumber for furniture etc. A friend of mine has a lot of it and uses it in his wood working shop. He saves the scrap for me and I use it in my smoker. It's already small pieces of board and a few minutes on the bandsaw or table saw and I have nice size pieces for use in my UDS or grills.

The fruit from the black cherry tree is often consumed by birds and the seeds spread as it passes through them. Because of this, in Arkansas a lot of fence rows have wild black cherry growing along the fence line. Early this spring I trimmed the trees on the north side of our property and now have a lot of cherry trimmed to appropriate length for my OK Joe vertical smoker. Should be plenty dry for use by late summer/early fall.

Cherry is, by far, my wood of choice. We burn ~4 cords of firewood/yr. I pick through it and put the cherry aside for smoking. :-D

Back