Asparagus grilling tips!!

J

jv_stl

I will be grilling Asparagus for the first time tonight. I would love any tips or suggestions!

On the menu steaks still to be purchased at Manino's( St. Charles, MO Area Butcher). I will keep it simple with the steaks, Kosher salt and Pepper. .I will also pick up some steak butter for the kids.

Also I will take some EVOO drizzle in little bowls with Parmensan cheese and fresh pepper . Then dip fresh italian crusty bread in it.

Baked potatos

Asparagus-lookng for Ideas!!

Wrap them in thin slices of ham,olive oil,salt,pepper....grill them short.
They have to remain a bit stiff and not turn out lumpy.
Serve with a light butter sauce and some crumbled boiled eggs.

In the oven we always go at 325 with EVOO, salt and pepper. Should work the same on the grill. usually about 10-12 minutes for the thicker variety.

Take a ziploc, put half a cup to a cup of olive oil in it along with lime juice, minced garlic, kosher salt, and chili powder. Let marinade for atleast 15 minutes. Cook indirectly on the grill for 15 minutes. You can move them to direct heat for the last minute or so to get a char on them if you want. If they aren't quite hot enough to your liking after 15 minutes, throw them on a plate and microwave them for a minute, should be just fine then. Like someone stated though, don't let them get too soft or you will lose the great texture/flavor combo.

EVOO, salt and cracked black pepper or your favorite rub, grill 'em quick. Remove while still crunchy BEFORE they turn to mooooooooosh... :-D

You'll have a lot of other flavors going on with the other items. You may want to keep it simple with evoo, sea salt and cracked pepper. Direct heat around 375 for 4 to 5 minutes - roll to turn (real easy with the side of a spatula) and another 4 to 5 minutes. X4 on pulling before wilting or turning to mush.

edit: X2 on the lemon zest!

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I will try to post some pron.

Phubar I wish I had some ham. I will be putting that on the list to try.

i like just olive oil, salt & pepper, grilled direct until the get a slight browning to them....

010-1.jpg

I do what ocrazed said,works great. Got to love anything with bacon

EVOO, salt and cracked black pepper or your favorite rub, grill 'em quick. Remove while still crunchy BEFORE they turn to mooooooooosh... :-D

That's how I do it. :thumb:

CD

I marinade in EVOO and Red Wine vinegar and Dizzy Pig's Raging River rub. Then grill till tender. Easy.

I use a grill wok (with holes) or a wire mesh pan over very hot coals. They're quick and give a nice char.

drizzle a little evoo on the stalks and toss them around to get a thin layer on all of them
kosher/sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper
fresh grated parmigiano reggiano over the top - if you don't have the real stuff the canned stuff will do a passable job, but with all the awesome Italian grocery stores here in STL I don't think you have an excuse!

The parmigiano makes a huge difference from just salt and pepper.

A little off topic, but these things are in my top 3 favorite things ever: cherry peppers stuffed with a piece of parmigiano reggiano and a piece of prosciutto marinated in olive oil. They have them at Viviano's on The Hill and in Fenton, and Di Gregorio's on The Hill.

The Asparagus turned out great!!! I brushed with olive oil , sprinkled Crazy Janes seasoning and squeezed lime on them.

It was my first time having Asparagus since a kid and I also did not like it when young. My wife loves it so I figure I could give it a try again.

I Like Asparagus!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back