Lots o' Questions

J

jditts

Novice/Newbie here,

A couple weeks ago my GF brings me home a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (shes a keeper).
I haven't had good homemade smoked meat since I was a kid. I understand an electric smoker may not be the same caliber equipment a lot of you guys are using but I gotta crawl before I can walk. My first attempt will be a 2.5lb tri tip since theres only 2 of us. I also bought a 6.5lb brisket. So I have some questions. My apologies if I'm asking too many in one post:

1. Tips for using electric smoker?
2. Rubs for the brisket and tri tip? Not a huge fan of bbq sauce or similarly tasting items. I prefer something that will enhance the natural flavor of the meats.
3. Is it possible to cut the brisket in half and freeze some to be smoked later
4. I seem to remember the meats being charred a bit on the outside, was this more of a function of the rub or the cooking? If I'm wrong feel free to call me out. If I'm right, tell me how please!!

Btw, I am only using prime cuts. Also, if theres anything I'm forgetting to ask, or something else I should do/try, please let me know.

SoonersFan
JDitts

I would say use Salt and pepper on both cuts. Maybe granulated garlic and onion if you have it but that's as far as I would go for a rub. Tri Tip is best medium rare, medium at the most. Smoke it at 225-250 till you get an internal temp of about 125 then sear it over a super hot grill on all sides. Let it rest for 20-30 minutes then slice and enjoy. You can trim the brisket down and freeze half, shouldn't pose any issues. Cooking it depends on if its a point or flat. Use the search bar at the bottom of the page and you will find more brisket recipes than you will know what to do with. Basically hit it with salt and pepper, smoke it at your preferred temp till the bark looks good, wrap in foil till it probes like butter then lit it rest for an hour wrapped and slice it. Only slice what you need tho. Don't slice then save, that'll make it DRY!!! Good luck!

Masterbuilt electric was my first smoker. My wife bought it for me and I love her. I made some tasty food inside that thing. However, sadly it sits idle since I built my UDS and also picked up a vintage Kamado on CL. I always rub my briskets and Tri-tip with just kosher salt, black pepper and a little granulated garlic. In my opinion that is the only thing you need on a good cut of beef. I would add that Pecan wood for both the tri-tip and the brisket. I was raised in Arizona so it took me awhile to resist using Mesquite on everything I cooked.
Enjoy the smoker and start planning your UDS build.

I like to smoke meats like tri-tip at around 225F, but, only to an internal temperature of 130F. Then pull and rest, slice thin and make sure you are across the grain.

I like to smoke my briskets at around 275F to 300F, and smoke until a metal skewer goes in with almost no resistance at all.

For simplicity, 50/50 salt and medium grain black pepper (by weight) will work. I add granulated, not powdered, garlic and onion, about 1/8 of the salt and pepper weight.

I would not cut the brisket in half, first off, if you start with a 6 pound flat, it will be a 3 pound finished weight. Second, brisket cooks better in larger chunks. I would not smoke a 3 pound brisket flat

I started with a Masterbuilt Electric about 5 yrs ago - still got it but its more of a holding cabinet/ food warmer now LOL - it gets the occasional fish or chicken breasts but that's about it. I also use UDS now and a funky one off homemade job I found cheap on Craigslist - kinda of a UDS with offset burn box. Charcoal and Wood cooked is best for my Taste Buds :mrgreen:

You should be fine cutting brisket in half and freezing half - but 6lbs is pretty small to start.
You shouldnt get any Char in Electric unless you really over cook it - Char and Bark are different and Bark is hard to get in Electric Also (atleast for me it was)- Rubs with more Sugar content produce more or heavier bark.
I like several Store bought rubs but Alot of guys on here prefer Salt/pepper/Garlic simple homemade rub for beef as mentioned above. A few good Masterbuilt Electric cook videos on YouTube - Good Luck and post results and Pics. :wink:

I have one,you need to add wood chips about every 1/2 to 3/4hr. It does a pretty good job, be mindful that the upper right corner (or where ever the exhaust is) will be a hot spot. Some have tried leaving were you add the chips slightly open to help airflow. All in all it is a good place to start:biggrin1:

Good Luck with the new smoker and have fun learning it.

IMHO I like tri tip on the grill - have not been a fan of it cooked low and slow.

You can slice the brisket and freeze it just remember the that the smaller the meat the shorter the cook. Also remember that you fire up the whole smoker regardless of the amount you cook. It might help to put other things on while you cook your meat like ABT or beans. It is all about the experience of learning your smoker.

I agree with Landarc on all counts. a 6lb piece of brisket is already small. Cutting it in half will give you two pieces that will dry out way to easily. Cook it as it is and then vac seal any leftovers for another easy meal or make some chili.

6.5lbs is small for a brisket. By the time it is done cooking, you will not end up with as much meat as you think. I would cook it whole. You can always freeze the leftovers. I have a vacuum sealer and I just put some sliced brisket in there, freeze it and then when I want brisket, take it out and drop it in a pot of boiling water. Like the others said, salt and pepper on a brisket is good. I like a 50/50 mix of Kosher Salt and cracked black pepper. The char on the outside is from the rub during the smoking process. Here is a easy rub recipe that is good on brisket and Tri-tip. You can modify to your taste.

4 Tbsp Kosher Salt
2 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Cumin
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 Tbsp Cracked Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Cayenne
1/4 C Paprika

Back