• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Smoke Wood?

Q Junkie

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
14.5 lb packer on UDS. Goes on tonight around Midnight for grub after golf. I plan on injecting with beef broth, rubbing mostly with S&P with a little rub and wrapping in butchers paper around 160-170. My choices for wood are Apple, Hickory, Pecan and Cherry. Reccomendations, sugestions or combinations are apperciated. I have only cooked Brisket one other time and I think I under cooked it. I guess I cook too much Tri-tip. But this time I am way more prepared thanks to this site.

I usually do a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of fruit to hickory (depends how big are the chunks). So I'd do Apple or Cherry (3-4 chunks) for every 1 chunk of hickory. On my egg, I usually find 5-6 chunks are good for a big brisket. Some people may say for beef to maybe do even fruit/hickory or just all hickory, its really all personal preference.

I don't help goofers in mean golfers no it was goofers. :wink: I like Pecan( it's a TX thing) burry 4-5 fist sized chunks in the basket and drop on on top when you load the meat.

I have been using apple and hickory mixed on most of my pork cooks but I just did a pork shoulder and a big mess of habenaros with the pecan and hickory and I was really digging the smell and the pulled pork was awesome. I just don't know if there are any good combo's specifically for a brisket.

Oak or mesquite are traditional in Texas where brisket is king. Pecan would be my choice of those you list, but I woud be use more wood than normal since brisket can take more smoke than most meats.

i use Oak for heat and a little Mesquite for POP on Beulah, in Big Jim I put 1 3X 8 piece of Mesquite standing up in the middle of the basket and load the lump around it. From what you have to work with Pecan is the choice and makes a dam fine brisket.

I do have some mesquite chips not chunks. Should I sprinkle some of those in there as well?

I prefer nut woods for beef--just me.

Mesquite is KILLER on beef if used in moderation :grin:

TIM

I prefer nut woods for beef--just me.

Mesquite is KILLER on beef if used in moderation :grin:

TIM

Funny but I like nut woods for pork but not for beef. I like Oak with a touch of mesquite for beef, except prime rib which I do all oak.

I dislike mesquite for smoking, the flavor tastes muddy to me. I prefer oak and/or pecan for beef.

Funny but I like nut woods for pork but not for beef. I like Oak with a touch of mesquite for beef, except prime rib which I do all oak.

What kind of wood do you think oak is if it's not a nut wood??:shock:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak"]Oak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I am a bit lost---I thought Oak was a nut wood. :oops:
Just kidding--we like the same thing except I use a TOUCH of Mesquite on PR also.

I dislike mesquite for smoking, the flavor tastes muddy to me. I prefer oak and/or pecan for beef.

That left coast Mesquite must some weird stuff :grin:

Seriously, I think the major bitch with Mesquite overall is that it is a strong flavor and will overpower the meat in a heartbeat if the cook is not careful. When I use it in MODERATION, I think it is an "earthy" flavor. When I have oversmoked with it, it is bitter and tastes like nasty creosote from a poorly managed fire.

This is a pellet thing only, and of little interest to most, but I mix "blended" mesquite pellets into all of my nut and fruit wood pellets. Winds up being 10-20 % which gives me the extra "earthiness" flavor we have grown to love.

Back to your regular scheduled programming :grin:

It's all Good Eats.

TIM

Well, I decided to turn my Pecan into Ash (stolen joke) and throw in some Hickory to Funk it up. I will be taking some pron throughout and will share as I go.

When I get some time I will post some pix of the UDS build as well, but that thang has been used more than Lyndsey Lohan since I built her.

You guys ROCK!

What ever is free
I can't much differenc in any of the hardwoods and I say with a blind tsate test most people couldn't either. Anyway I don't think a few chunks of wood going to impart much of any flavor.

Back