MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #16
esselle
Full Fledged Farker

Fantastic site Heath. I know you have the weekly results and you can see how you did that week against everyone else, but can you go back to a set date and see how you did against everyone then or does it only apply to the past week. The reason I ask is that we are included on the rankings because we have competed in 3 U.S. comps this year, even though we are U.K. based but it would be nice to see how we compared with the rest of the U.S. in the particular weeks that we competed. Thanks again for a great site.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #17
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

I told them about the exception their merge request form was throwing weeks ago. Also requested a merge via email at the same time and was told it would be done right away, but we're still listed under four different spellings. Confirmed with KCBS they have our scores tracked correctly under the same team number so it has to do with how this site is collecting their data.

Nice concept, but I think this resorce is more accurately described as being a beta release. Could be useful when the bugs are worked out.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #18
4 smokin butts
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Pal Frank View Post
Hi Heath. What a great reference to see how the teams are doing. I tried to merge two teams and got an integrety error. Just FYI

Keep up the hard work.
tried to merge our team also,got error,,windsor mo ,end of aug missing from ours nice site,great job
4 smokin butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #19
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I'm a statistics nerd. In case you guys ever get bored and want something to do/work on, add an option to see averages. Such as avg score (overall, individual categories) and avg place.
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #20
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

82's, I already requested that. I had a merge problem with the form originally like many others here. I sent an email to [email protected]. Brian responded and processed my request the same day. I think he needs to rerun the rankings everytime there is a merge so he may be queueing up a bunch since it seems more requests are coming in.

Here were my suggestions. He responded and said many of them including the registration feature were in the works for a future release but right now he is just working on data quality.

1) average score for each cetegory on the breakdown page.
2) year over year comparison (I can see my TOY points for this year but I can't see it for prior years). Looks like the data is already there for 2011 since I can see the comps under event history. This would just be another 'view' on that data.
3) a comparison feature (caompare your scores to 1,2,3, teams, etc)? This is just fluff but trying to think of ways to make the site even more interesting. I know there are a few teams that we regularly compete against and you always want to see how you stack up against them.
4) It would be great if you could 'register' on the site much like you do for a message board. Then you can be automatically logged in and see your team's page immediately upon entering the site
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
Heath Hall
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post
Heath how do you get contests not yours out of the database? Combine where a team is spelled 3 to 4 different ways?
Go to this page http://bbqrace.com/contact/ and let us know what contests aren't yours in your database.

Go to the same page and let us know the different spellings of your team name that are in the database that need to be merged and let us know what the master name should be that we merge the other spellings under.

Lang 60
Lang 84
WSM
Heath Hall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #22
Heath Hall
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
To add to Stan's question, what is the process to combine multiple listings that are the same team?

Example:
Boondoggle
Boondoggle BBQ
Let us know at this link http://bbqrace.com/contact/ what the names are that need to be merged and tell us which is the master name the others should be merged under.

Lang 60
Lang 84
WSM

Old 09-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #23
Heath Hall
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Pal Frank View Post
Hi Heath. What a great reference to see how the teams are doing. I tried to merge two teams and got an integrety error. Just FYI

Keep up the hard work.
What are the names that need to be merged? Let me know the master name you want the other name(s) merged under and I'll get it in the system.

Thanks for the heads up. Still working out some bugs.

Lang 60
Lang 84
WSM

Old 09-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #24
Heath Hall
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselle View Post
Fantastic site Heath. I know you have the weekly results and you can see how you did that week against everyone else, but can you go back to a set date and see how you did against everyone then or does it only apply to the past week. The reason I ask is that we are included on the rankings because we have competed in 3 U.S. comps this year, even though we are U.K. based but it would be nice to see how we compared with the rest of the U.S. in the particular weeks that we competed. Thanks again for a great site.
Hi - right now we only have the current week up. I'll add archiving past weeks to the list of things we are considering as we expand the offerings of the site! Thanks for the idea.

Lang 60
Lang 84
WSM

Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
Heath Hall
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
I told them about the exception their merge request form was throwing weeks ago. Also requested a merge via email at the same time and was told it would be done right away, but we're still listed under four different spellings. Confirmed with KCBS they have our scores tracked correctly under the same team number so it has to do with how this site is collecting their data.

Nice concept, but I think this resorce is more accurately described as being a beta release. Could be useful when the bugs are worked out.
What are the team names that need to be merged? We are doing the best we can to get everything merged this year to have everything in place for next season. As I've already mentioned we know there are still bugs to fix and that is what we are working on clearing up over the next 3 months so we have a clean start when 2013 arrives.

Lang 60
Lang 84
WSM

Old 09-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #26
Heath Hall
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 smokin butts View Post
tried to merge our team also,got error,,windsor mo ,end of aug missing from ours nice site,great job
Your two names 4 Smokin Butts and Four Smokin Butts are in the merge file now. Once we do a merge update they should be merged. Let me know in a couple days if it looks like you are still missing comps.

Lang 60
Lang 84
WSM

Old 09-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #27
Heath Hall
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82's BBQ View Post
I'm a statistics nerd. In case you guys ever get bored and want something to do/work on, add an option to see averages. Such as avg score (overall, individual categories) and avg place.
Working on that.

Lang 60
Lang 84
WSM

Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #28
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Idea:

Something I was planning to do but since your site is live, I have no need for it anymore.

Automate a process to scrap the data from their events section than when members find invalid team names they can contact KCBS to have it corrected and then initiate a refresh on the bbqrace.com side which would eliminate all of the merging issues you are having.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #29
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Idea:

Something I was planning to do but since your site is live, I have no need for it anymore.

Automate a process to scrap the data from their events section than when members find invalid team names they can contact KCBS to have it corrected and then initiate a refresh on the bbqrace.com side which would eliminate all of the merging issues you are having.

I was thinking the same thing. A few days ago, I actually pulled the data from a comp off of the kcbs site into Excel using the Get Data From Web import functionality just to see what it would look like. Not sure where they get their data from or what database platform they are using. If it is SQL Server then I'm sure they could source the KCBS URLs with SSIS to Extract Transform and Load the data into their database in an automated fashion and on a regular schedule.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #30
dhuffjr
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post

3) a comparison feature (caompare your scores to 1,2,3, teams, etc)? This is just fluff but trying to think of ways to make the site even more interesting. I know there are a few teams that we regularly compete against and you always want to see how you stack up against them.
That would be interesting. I requested the ability to sort so those of use that don't do 10+ contests a year can see how we stack up against our peers. I'd love to see how we rate against teams that compete the same number of contests.

An additional thought is make it easy to see the total number of teams. Say 782 out of 6387 or whatever the case may be.

Tags
BBQ Race, Rankings, Team of the Year