• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Searing..Before or After?

Big Poppa

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
OK First post. Great place here.

I have been bit by the bbq bug. I have a Traeger and A Primo XL.

I love the fat side up or down argument...My question is

Finney or Trex?

sear over high heat first ...or smoke till 105 and then sear? Which one?

Tried Trex last night and it worked really well....
Sorry if this has been beat to death but figured I'd dive in

Last edited:
Thanks...I actually like it both ways and even sometimes no sear on the traeger....The key in both of those techniques is a mid grill rest.

I think it also depends on what steak. With a ribeye, I like the reverse sear method. I think it melts more fat into nice juicyness, and takes on what ever wood flavor more. As much as I have loved it with ribeyes, I haven't like it with Filets, or whole tenderloins. I like quick, very hot sear, and then indirect till desired temp. The Alton Brown reasoning, IMHO, is the leaner tenderloin, without the fat of the ribeye, will "carry over" more heat and tend to dry out when resting, and cook faster to the center when searing after it has been cooked. IMHO, I thing the more fat you have in the steak, the better the reverse sear lends itself to the process.

Sorry but my english is very bad....I'll try to explain:
Searing means "to caramelise" sugar (glycogen) inside meat protein. The brown color you get is just your sugar that burns....
It's not easy to make a good explanation for me in english so I'll post a link to the "Maillard Reaction" and you'll know everything about searing meat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

When you cook the meat, this sugar is already transformed so if you try to sear after cooking you won't get the same result.

So searing first then cooking. Searing also helps keeping juices inside on meat.
Hope it's clear.
Bye.

I'd have to vote for the first. :biggrin:

and.... SEARING DOES NOT SEAL IN THE JUICES!!!!

This is what I was hoping for...

So Mr Finney...is there any cut of meat that searing first works better?

I have a good friend that I got into this and he has been cooking everyday since he got his stuff and he is from the central coast...tri tip country and is trying the Finney tomorrow after trying searing first last night....So far on the traeger we both prefer the just smoke with tri tip

This is what I was hoping for...

So Mr Finney...is there any cut of meat that searing first works better?

I have a good friend that I got into this and he has been cooking everyday since he got his stuff and he is from the central coast...tri tip country and is trying the Finney tomorrow after trying searing first last night....So far on the traeger we both prefer the just smoke with tri tip

Blackened Catfish :biggrin:

I'd have to vote for the first. :biggrin:

and.... SEARING DOES NOT SEAL IN THE JUICES!!!!

Then why do it??? Why...for the pretty grill marks of course...that along with the taste and texture! :biggrin:

Back