To All Bacon Bellies- Morton's Quick Cure?

chinesebob

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Since we've got nicknames for every other subgroup I thought I'd throw that out.

Ok, got my bacon, butts, and hams. Morton's quick cure? Anyone use it? Good bad results?

Thanks

CB

CB, I've used it several times with great results. Mix 1 tsp cure and 1 tsp of sugar per lb and always comes out great. Also use the Hi Mountain which is good chit, but way more $. Try it straight and then kick it up a notch or two to see what you like. Tender Quick cure then just before smoking try pure maple syrup with or without fresh cracked pepper to see if you might like that. Just a thought. Lots of more experienced brethren here who I hope will chime in. Good luck!!!

CB, I've used it several times with great results. Mix 1 tsp cure and 1 tsp of sugar per lb and always comes out great. Also use the Hi Mountain which is good chit, but way more $. Try it straight and then kick it up a notch or two to see what you like. Tender Quick cure then just before smoking try pure maple syrup with or without fresh cracked pepper to see if you might like that. Just a thought. Lots of more experienced brethren here who I hope will chime in. Good luck!!!

One recipe said that you need to seal it up and store it for 3 days for every pound. Does that sound right? I was thinking about sealing it in the food saver and then leaving it like that for about 3 weeks. I'm going to reread the other posts about the curing and then put them out starting tomorrow.

I picked it up at a local butcher shop for about 3.00 a bag. So I have plenty of it.

CB

CB are you doing bacon? ham? or bbb with the butts?

I have done bacon and true, you do need to cure 7-10 days in your cure (see individual instructions). I mix my own with pink salt and cure in a ziploc. Every day massage and flip the bag daily until the pork belly is firm. Then rinse WELLLLLLL. I am not doing this correctly and come up with black bacon everytime I cook. I think if you follow some of the threads here you will do well.

For hams, Dizzy Pig has a great recipe and it is wet cured. I screwed up and let my fresh ham go bad so have no real experience doing this, just "book learning".

Once I get my hands on some buck board bacon cure I am going to tear up a butt and see what all of that is about.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes.

ok, had two ready to go. One with tender quick and cane 1tbs each and one with tender quick and brown sugar. They are in and we'll see what happens in 5 days.

As a side note - Morton's supposedly has a whole book for free on curing meat - 39 pages if you write or get it on line. haven't found it yet but I'm looking....

Here you go CB, but seems to be on backorder...
http://morton.elsstore.com/view/category/178-meat-curing/

Here's a dandy for possible future reference. Sure is a perty picture...

CURED BACON – DEAN TORGES, THEINGREDIENTSTORE
*(APR 2005)

I like brines for what you are doing. Try this one next time for your "bacon." Quicker and less mess. I've been messing with this recipe for a few years and haven't made a change in it the last 8 times I've done it. Here's my recipe from my logs…

2 Avg Belly slabs (@ 15 LB) - each slab squared up and cut in half crossways
1/2 Gal Cider
1 Gal Water
1 C Dark brown sugar
1 1/2 C Salt
1 1/2 TB Cloves - ground
4 LG Bay leaves - ground
1 1/2 TB Black pepper
9 TB ~or~ 4 OZ Sodium nitrite

Boil all ingredients in water, cool, add cider and then chill brine.

Soak slabs at approx 38*F, turning occasionally.

After five days, remove sides, pat dry and hang in smokehouse overnight, vents open, at 100* to form a pellicle. Begin smudge at 125* Slowly raising smokehouse while you correspondingly close down vent, keeping a good smudge going all the while. About the last four hours, keep at 150* with vents 1/3rd or 1/4th open, maintaining this condition until internal temp reaches about 128-130*F. Takes about 8 hours in the smokehouse.

And here's what my last batch a week ago looked like…

BACON1.jpg

Back