Beef Round Tip, Whole, 8.5 pounds

B

BobberQer

anyone ever smoke one of these..??? I've spent a little time looking up beef charts, and info..The confusion lies in the name.. why do these guys all have to have soooooooooooo many names for stuff?? I guess I'm going to bring it up to 125, then check it, but I wanted to make shredded beef, with onions, and peppers.. So my thinking was to bring it up to 195... my findings are that it's a tough piece of meat...so the 195* seems to make sense..might shred it, then crisp it up a bit after I shred it.. any ideas?? putting it on smoker in about 10 minutes lol ..nothing like waitng to the last minute..:biggrin: Thanks for any suggetions

Bob,

I never tried one but it certainly sounds like you are on the right path. The only thing I am thinking though is that you may have to bring it a little higher than 195* to make the beef shred. It's no big deal, if it doesn't shred, back in the smoker.

Round tips are tough and fairly lean.

Someone on another board took it to 145 and they said it was dry.

Bill, that a great website. I use it all the time.

Awesome!
Anyone taking 'em up on that hog intestines deal? FREE SHIPPING!

Thanks for the replies...

I think I'm gunna take it to 125 -130 ish... then , see how it tastes, and reheat tomorrow... we'll see... might cut half of it and take it to 195. who knows.. got plenty of time to think about.. only put it on a 9:30.. will report back with findings

Thanks again

You might give it plenty of wrapped time to retain juice. Could be one tough bastage...

I like to do those to 120, then foil and rest in a cooler, then slice as thin as you can slice it and serve with horseradish. If you cook it at low temps, the whole slice will be rare to med. rare.

I would think you cook it like a brisket, low slow, test for doneness, with the probe test. Foil with A LOT of juice. Slice thin.

Arlin_MacRae said:
You might give it plenty of wrapped time to retain juice. Could be one tough bastage...

from a lot of responese,s and from what I 've read, I think you might be right , Arlin... The tough part makes me very wary of ruining 8.5 pounds of meat .. Thanks .. will take it off bout med- rare, then re- heat tomorrow... worse comes to wosre I'l chuck it on the slicer and kinda have philly cheese steak thin, meat.. concocting a carmelized , smoked onion/garlic, sauce as we speak .. it pretty farkin good already, and I was gunna simmer it for 4 hours, but It "called " me to taste it..:biggrin: .

That sauce sounds great... a recipe would be even better!

Jgh1204 appreciate the tip on the 140 ish internal ..It's pulled off the smoker, and will reheat tomorrow..just gunna have to wait and see, I guess,, still got hours to go for the corned beef just now reaching 140...

I'm still playing with the onion/garlic thingy... I think it needs more garlic, but SO thinks it alreading warding offf evil spirits for the next 2 counties.. when I'm finished, I'll post what I did... thanks again, guys..

Hope it works out, the other guy may have just screwed his up.

jgh1204 said:
Hope it works out, the other guy may have just screwed his up.

NOW YA TELL ME :eek: LMAO !!! :biggrin: too late now:roll: .. I'll let the cards fall where they may.. can alway reheat to higher temp , if need be .. I'll check it in the morning; meanwhile it wrapped and got loads of juices in the pan, so I consider that a result... thanks again

Back