MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Grilling Contest

My son Steven and I had a great time doing the NEBS grilling consest this past weekend in East Hartford CT. Typically i excuse myself from doing it and focus only on the KCBS. At the last minute my son told me friday night that he wanted to do it. There i was shopping at 2:00 AM saturday morning at a 24 hour grocery store for all of the ingredients. The first turn in was at 12:00 PM , i showed up at the contest at 11:00Am Tossed everything out of my truck got a quick inspection lit some coals and got the entry in on time. My son wanted to to do the pork chops all on his own and he came in 4th and is still smiling ear to ear today. In a pinch i had to use fish sticks for my fish kabob entry becasue the frozen salmon i bought was precooked. We improvised and came in 6th out of 7th. Sorry Big Dog. This led me to the the thought of an Iron man grilling category where the organizer provides the teams with an unknown food. Does anybody else share my thought on this?

On another note about this weekends contest. I noticed that in between turn ins (which were an hour)one of the judges would come out of the tent and hang out with one of the teams the entire time in between until he had to go back and judge. This really irked me. I dont know what the rules are on this or if their is a rule. If a judge came over to me i would ask them to leave immediately as not to compromise the time and effort i was putting into my entries. I know this has been discussed in another thread at length but that was about hanging out with a team then leaving to judge. In KCBS we all basically cook the same, in the grilling the categories as well as ingredients vary greatly that your entry could be very distinctive. Would this bother any of you?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
My son Steven and I had a great time doing the NEBS grilling consest this past weekend in East Hartford CT. Typically i excuse myself from doing it and focus only on the KCBS. At the last minute my son told me friday night that he wanted to do it. There i was shopping at 2:00 AM saturday morning at a 24 hour grocery store for all of the ingredients. The first turn in was at 12:00 PM , i showed up at the contest at 11:00Am Tossed everything out of my truck got a quick inspection lit some coals and got the entry in on time. My son wanted to to do the pork chops all on his own and he came in 4th and is still smiling ear to ear today. In a pinch i had to use fish sticks for my fish kabob entry becasue the frozen salmon i bought was precooked. We improvised and came in 6th out of 7th. Sorry Big Dog. This led me to the the thought of an Iron man grilling category where the organizer provides the teams with an unknown food. Does anybody else share my thought on this?

On another note about this weekends contest. I noticed that in between turn ins (which were an hour)one of the judges would come out of the tent and hang out with one of the teams the entire time in between until he had to go back and judge. This really irked me. I dont know what the rules are on this or if their is a rule. If a judge came over to me i would ask them to leave immediately as not to compromise the time and effort i was putting into my entries. I know this has been discussed in another thread at length but that was about hanging out with a team then leaving to judge. In KCBS we all basically cook the same, in the grilling the categories as well as ingredients vary greatly that your entry could be very distinctive. Would this bother any of you?

Hell Yes

and congratulations on a good time with your son

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Fish sticks!!! You are killing me!!! Must not have been "gourmet" fish sticks. Otherwise you could have been 5th.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

we did a contest just like what you called the Iron Man grilling contest, In Yardley Iy was called Iron Chef.. they gave us fish,corn on the cob and sweet potatos..kind of cool. smoked the Talipia on cedar planks, did a savory sweet potato on top of the fish followed by the come we stripped it down tring to leave the corn in sheets..took 10th. was cool but not worth adding a 3rd day to a comp..
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
There is a specific instruction about that in the Contest Judges Instructions
http://www.kcbs.us/kcbs_bbq_contest_...structions.jsp

The pertinent part says

"Contest Day:
Do not fraternize with the cooking teams or enter their cooking site until after conclusion of judging"

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Fish sticks!!! You are killing me!!! Must not have been "gourmet" fish sticks. Otherwise you could have been 5th.
I will try that next time
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by Sledneck; 02-25-2009 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
There is a specific instruction about that in the Contest Judges Instructions
http://www.kcbs.us/kcbs_bbq_contest_...structions.jsp

The pertinent part says

"Contest Day:
Do not fraternize with the cooking teams or enter their cooking site until after conclusion of judging"
Even though NEBS follows kcbs rules i dont know whether they enforce all of them.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

It would be my guess that at the grilling contest this weekend "Bluesaque" the judges went to a team that was not competing in the grilling events. Not every team did, so if they went to one that wasn't then no rule was broken.
Nobody visited The Anchormen during the grilling or BBQ contest.
any thoughts from the other Brethren who were there?

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anchorman View Post
It would be my guess that at the grilling contest this weekend "Bluesaque" the judges went to a team that was not competing in the grilling events. Not every team did, so if they went to one that wasn't then no rule was broken.
Nobody visited The Anchormen during the grilling or BBQ contest.
any thoughts from the other Brethren who were there?
It was at a competing teams site

Old 06-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

care to pm me the team name? if not I understand.
Or better did they win?

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ

Old 06-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anchorman View Post
care to pm me the team name?
That is not what this is about so i will not

Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

I understand that.
I did see Mark, the rep, and Vito, the organizer tell one judge that visiting teams was not allowed.

KCBS CBJ

Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #13
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'd love to do an Iron Chef Grilling contest. Would be a ton of fun. In general it's a lot of extra work to do the grilling contests but I enjoy the wide range of things you can do with each category.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #14
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
I'd love to do an Iron Chef Grilling contest. Would be a ton of fun. In general it's a lot of extra work to do the grilling contests but I enjoy the wide range of things you can do with each category.
I was thinking about just one category so its does not add a day to a contest. Example. We finish our 4-5 entries. then we all get the surprise ingredient. We all run back and have a time frame to make something out of. The ingredient could be provided by a a local butcher, fish market, store etc. and that portion is named for that store as a form of advertisement, The possibilities are endless.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:25 PM   #15
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
The possibilities are endless.
OK...keep going...you're on a roll..

Smokin Gnome is right though..Yardley does have the Iron Chef category..I think last year when I cooked with the 2 Fat Polocks they got a potato, sausage and onion.. I think Michele did a real niced vidalia onion stuffed with sausage with potatoes...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote