MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
grillnputt
On the road to being a farker

Default Baby Backs

OK, I know this has been tackled a million times but I'll keep it short. Do you foil the ribs when the meat is 1/4 inch from the bone, or is it DONE when it is a 1/4 inch from the bone?
My ribs always seem to taste good, but inconsistent w/ texture. Yesterday's was 1/2 way between fall off the bone tender and chinese food ribs. 2 weeks ago, they were fall off the bone tender. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
fnnm358
is One Chatty Farker

baby backs i foil after about 2 hours the tips of the rib should be showing at this point .... leave foiled for an hour and a half ....... then place back on rack mop with sauce let sit for 10 minutes flip mop and let sit for ten flip and mop one last time and plate for presentaation

Old 02-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Grill, there are so many variable to play with that you really need to get consistency. so first, don't change a thing and try a couple of times and keep tight records. Temps, time, where on the smoker, etc. Then do a brief write up on the results, color, texture, etc. Then decide what you want to change. My wife loves fall off the bone ribs. I prefer a bit tougher. More competitive quality. So I have learned to foik hers and leave mine open. That is if all the other variables such as temp of pit, sauces/rubs, and weather are all roughly stabel/similar. For her ribs, spares, I usually go for threeish hours, until color and pull back is reasonable, foil for 90-120 minutes. then unfoil and sear with sauce. Mine I tend to leave them exposed and go for 4.5-6 hours and look for flexibilityin the rack. My two cents. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Wyatt
Full Fledged Farker

I don't know but show us some pics!
[B]Pit Master: Team Boy-B-Que[/B]
[I][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Grandpa's Griller[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]1 new UDS (Big Tex)[/FONT][/I]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][I]ECB (Smokin' Fox)[/I] Soon to be Modified.[/FONT]
Also is only a 13 year old:bow:
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep, I foil at that point - for an hour. Then out of the foil for one more hour, dry or sauced.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
grillnputt

Sorry, no pics. They were eaten before I could get the camera out. Just wondering if everyone can consistently get the results they want whatever the texture. It's frustrating when one time I get fall off the bone, then with exact same procedures I get almost chinese ribs. I guess it goes with the territory!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

When you get them right , let us know know and I'm sure a bunch of us locals would be more than willing to stop by and give you our opions
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

I normally go with 2-1-1 on the Baby backs that I do, 2 hours in the smoke, 1 hour in foil, the one hour out of foil getting sauced (the ribs by that point I am already sauced). I have gotten really consistant results doing this. Also for ribs I normally run my smoker around 250 or so. Some of the mixed results that you are getting could also be attributed to the ribs themselves sometimes they just take longer to get the way you want and sometimes they cook fast so I do adjust my foil and sauce times based on how the ribs are looking when I foil them and unfoil them.

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
grillnputt

Thanks fire, but that is exactly what I'm not sure of...What am I looking for when it's time to foil and what am I looking for when it's time to unfoil. I think that will help me be more consistent. lol sometimes it takes me awhile to figure out what I am actually trying to ask.