MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #31
gsobbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Deuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
That is a setup i've never come across before but if it works, it works. I'd think about opening up that "duct" to allow smoke to get into the cooking chamber. You could do a reverse flow or for simplicity's sake, drill holes in the duct and there you go. Granted you'd need a fair amount of holes if you used a 1/2" bit or if you had a larger one it'd go quicker. I'd probably just drill the holes and see how she runs then adjust as necessary.

I really don't think you'll have trouble keeping it up to temp even with a small firebox. I have a 24x24x24 firebox on mine and the size of the fire i have going will fit inside your firebox no problem. I'd suggest a grate on the bottom to let air get underneith it though.

As for thermometers, I've had tel-tru's on mine for about 8 years and they still function just fine.
Thanks Zak. The "holes" idea sounds good. I think I am leaning more towards opening the duct. It will be very few times that I smoke something for more than 6 hours so I don't know if enlarging the firebox is worth it anyway.

I do have a question, when you say adding a grate on the bottom do you mean to add "lips" or shelves to put a grate on the bottom of the firebox right about the dampers?
gsobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #32
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

Not so much lips but an actual grate that'll keep the fire off the bottom of the firebox so air can get under the fire. At or above intake level would be ideal but even if it's lower it wont be the end of the world. This is inside my firebox to give you an idea.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #33
gsobbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Deuce

Ok, I see what you mean. The only problem I would have is removing ash really but it's still worth a shot.
gsobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
275, charcoal, firebox, offset, smoker, techniques, wood