Fresh Steelhead from lake erie (UDS smoke)

R

Rover >~<>

Hey guys. I wanted to share these pictures and this smoke with you.

I was up at lake erie flyfishing yesterday and caught a beautiful steelhead which is basicly a large rainbow trout. This fish was gorgeous chrome and put up a heck of a fight. My goal was to preserve the freshness of this fish so i caught it, filleted it, and put it on ice. a few hours later it went right from the ice to the brine mixture ( salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, water). After 10 hours in the brine I dryed it with a paper towel, let it sit out in 65 degrees to get that tacky coating which is crucial for smoking, and it went into the UDS for 7 hours at 140-180 degrees over hickory and charcoals.

569692964_2021154293_0.jpg
570133160_2022796025_0.jpg

You've got my attention. Smoking fish is what got me started in this adventure. That looks great!

I love these "fish" threads that I read here on the forum. I have not fished in a number of years, but am getting the itch to do it again. Thanks for posting!

Question: How long does it have to sit out to get tacky, and how did you control the 65 degrees?

nice steelie!!! which river? hope to hook up to some staging around the river mouths this fall.

looks good... never had steelie but your pic makes it look like something i would enjoy!

Thanks for the comments. It was caught near the lower access point on elk creek. And as for the itch to fish again. I get that feeling every day. I sware I have an actual addiction to fishing. Just talkting about it makes me feel like im suffering from fishing withdrawl. Normally I would release a beautiful fish like this but since many will not make it back to the lake alive I figured it was better suited for my awesome new UDS.

Nice fish, fly fishing is so cool to me. Product looks fine too:thumb:.

Thanks for the comments. It was caught near the lower access point on elk creek. And as for the itch to fish again. I get that feeling every day. I sware I have an actual addiction to fishing. Just talkting about it makes me feel like im suffering from fishing withdrawl. Normally I would release a beautiful fish like this but since many will not make it back to the lake alive I figured it was better suited for my awesome new UDS.

I agree! :thumb: I grew up on Lake Erie as a kid (Painesville, Ohio) and all I ever caught was sheephead and perch...:rolleyes: Nice catch...even better smoke...:cool:

nice indeed and that looks like a real nice time you had.

Back