Brisket, Butt & Lengua(Pron)

D

DennD

We be smoking today! An 11 lb packer brisket, 7 lb pork butt, and lengua(beef tongue). Also some rib tips and a couple beef ribs for something to munch on while tending the brisket and butt.

Here are my cookers(well most of them). The one I'm using today is the vertical cabinet smoker in the center.
cookers.JPG

Here's the innards, taken when I pulled the lengua and added some wood chunks.
refueltime.JPG

Mmm.... Lengua!!!
mmmlengua.JPG

More to come. Gonna have a beer and tend my smoker.

Looks great!

I've never had Tongue Q. I think it was braised when I had it before, however it was cooked it was good.

Do you have to peel off the outer layer? I recall someone telling me that about tongue, I'm guessing no since you would loose all your bark.

That looks real good!
Never had tongue before but I'd hit it!

Looks great!

I've never had Tongue Q. I think it was braised when I had it before, however it was cooked it was good.

Do you have to peel off the outer layer? I recall someone telling me that about tongue, I'm guessing no since you would loose all your bark.

Yep, there's a really tough skin on the tongue, so in the case of cows tongue, every recipe I've seen recommends boiling them for an hour and a half to get the skin loosened up. I boiled it 1 3/4 hr in beer and water with a little white vinegar and some salt, and then let it set in the hot woater for about another hour(last night). Then I drained it and ran cold water over it. Used a filet knife to get under it, and peeled the skin right off. Ithen I put rub on it and let it set in the fridge the rest of the night. I used chipotle seasoning, garlic and cumin for the rub. Nelts in your mouth. Might chop some up fine and make lengua tacos out of it. That's how you can tell the authentic mexican restaurants around here... even if they don't have them on the menu, they can usually make you lengua tachos, if you ask.

Heres the pork butt after it rested about 20 min. I took it out of the cooker at 168° so we could slice it and have it as a roast.
porkbuttroast.JPG

The brisket was too long to fit on the shelves, so I cut it in half against the grain before I put it in the smoker. A while ago, I checked it with a skewer, which went in like butta and came out just as easy. Half of the brisket included most of the point and the smallest part of the flat. I took that part and separated the point from the flat and put the thick part of the point back in the smoker for another hour and a half or maybe two, so it will pull real easily and make pulled beef with lots of char and burnt ends.
This pile here is the rest of the brisket(excluding what I already ate).
brisket.JPG

Here it is... the pulled brisket. Pulled easier than any other meat I've done so far. Tasty, too! Long day.... a little over thirteen hours from the time the meat went in the cooker until the point was ready to pull. And then I still had to let it rest 15 minutes. Now it's time for me to get some.... rest, that is.:redface: A good day!
pullbrisket.JPG

Back