MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Picnic Shoulder

Hi All I have a 4 lb picnic shoulder, I'd like to do on my rotisserie and slice it..The rotisserie should be at around 325-350, so how much time would it take to get slicing temp/165??
Thanks DanB

Old 10-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

If it is a regular, bone-in picnic I would think it would be awfully chewy at 165°. That cut is normally done like a Boston Butt and cooked until the connective tissues are rendered.
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #3
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Pork Shoulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydQ View Post
If it is a regular, bone-in picnic I would think it would be awfully chewy at 165°. That cut is normally done like a Boston Butt and cooked until the connective tissues are rendered.
Hi Yes it is a bone in picnic.. I don't want to pull it, just slice it. So at what temps should it done for slicing?
Thanks DanB

Old 10-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cook to 185 - 187° for slicing.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #5
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Agree, at least 185°
rexster314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

If you've got an SV machine, there are more options for slicing. Like 135 for 36-48 hours (use the pinch test), followed by a quick chill in ice water. Then when you're ready to finish it, take it out, dry it, add some rub, and smoke a few hours to 135-140 IT.

* Pinch test is basically "can you pinch up the surface"?

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi All I added a netted butt roast on the rotisserie along with the 4 lb picnic.
Temps on WSM 22" got away from me..Didn't come out too bad the butt was much better then picnic.
Thanks Dan
I would post pics but it seems like no cares about this post, so I'll save the pics MB's for a better post