No, I'm not finished reading this thread (Page 21 so far,) but I can already see that you folks are a BAD influence!

I just called my local scrap metal dealer, and he says he has more steel 55 gallon drums than I could buy - for $8 apiece.

Evil folks, I tell you - pure evil!

It's on - film at 11...

I bought a new 30 gal drum for 60 $coots, just to be sure inside was clean etc and to keep the labors down...burned it out with big torch to remove anti rust, if any, like others have done here...FWIW.

Yes, I suppose it is evil, but what fun isn't? What kills me, I have been smoking briskets for 10 years and never thought to do a barrel job...and son got me into it. Never too late.

Last edited:
I'm gathering parts and scrap wood to burn whichever drum I bring home - most likely next week/weekend. I have too much going on this weekend to even consider trying it. Some of the drums I looked at were straight from a machine shop, with the MSDS and UN labels and placards still attached. The wife has the hand book to help me decipher what drum had what in it, so that's a plus. Looking for a used Weber here locally as we speak. It's funny, but I think that's going to be the single most expensive part of my UDS. Go figure...

Oh - and I'm up to page 58. I may be here a while...

Last edited by a moderator:
Another UDS is born. Thanks to all who posted

Attachments

• Attachments_2013425.zip
    888.3 KB · Views: 109
OK, these are the drums i got for my UDS build. They were blue with white lids, that i had sandblasted. They were food grade, and had original labels on them that were for Corn Syrup.

My stupid n00b question is, how can i tell if these are galvanized steel? I just read that some barrels are actually galvanized steel, and are not safe to use for a UDS. How can i tell?

EDIT--I have also read that sandblasting removes the galvanized coating, so i should be good, yes?

Attachments

• 0427131248.jpg
    0427131248.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 742
Last edited:
Wet the inside or a part where you have grinded, and wait for a couple days. If they start to rust they're not galvanized.

Finished my first UDS. Thanks Brethren! Time to season and Q!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 706
Flat lid hinge mod

I have been wanting to put a hinge on my drum for a while now and finally got around to doing it. Was going to fab my own system up like a few I've seen on this forum but had to go KISS due to KIDS!!! Anyway, got a fence hinge from Home Depot and bolted & welded it up good. The tension on the hinge was great out the box and it will hold it up 90 degrees no problem. One hinge was plenty for the weight of the lid and pipe stack. Excuse the welds...never even had 1 lesson!!
IMG_1308[1].jpg
It might not look straight but it seals up nice and tight.
IMG_1306[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1305[1].jpg
    IMG_1305[1].jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 685
ok, finally ready to start the UDS build. read through most of this thread over the winter. i picked up 3 barrels, held cranberry juice, for $10 a piece. they had the dreaded red liner so i had them sand blasted out for $55. so i've got the barrels ready to burn for total investment of $85 so far. Okay, todays step is the burn...will post more pictures as i make progress.

Attachments

• burn 1 (2).jpg
    burn 1 (2).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 674
Well, I just spent 2 entire days reading this thread. Great info on here. I only have one question before I start my build. The barrel that I have had sodium hyrdroxide beads in it. It is unlined, and there is a little residue left in it. Should I use this barrel or find something different? I looked up what that was and am still not sure if I should use the barrel. Plus I have no idea how to clean it out (heard no to inhale fumes or get on skin, etc..). Although, people have used oven cleaner to try to get liners off which contains sodium hydroxide......:confused:

Hello. I just made my first UDS. I can't wait to cook on this guy. I had the barrel sandblasted for $25. It was well worth the money. If I made another UDS, and I probably will, I would take more time making my air intake holes. They're not very tight, but they'll work. I'll probably have someone tack weld them.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 838
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 834
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 837
  • IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 838
I have been wanting to put a hinge on my drum for a while now and finally got around to doing it. Was going to fab my own system up like a few I've seen on this forum but had to go KISS due to KIDS!!! Anyway, got a fence hinge from Home Depot and bolted & welded it up good. The tension on the hinge was great out the box and it will hold it up 90 degrees no problem. One hinge was plenty for the weight of the lid and pipe stack. Excuse the welds...never even had 1 lesson!!
View attachment 78893
It might not look straight but it seals up nice and tight.
View attachment 78892

It looks like you bought an open head drum. Did you find that the lit fit on well without the gasket. Mine seemed too large for the barrel so I couldn't hinge it but maybe mine was warped. Nice job and KISS well done

First UDS Build

Well after lurking for some time now and gathering ideas...I have completed my first UDS. It was some work but I am ready for her maiden test burn tomorrow. Hope the picture comes out..

photostream

Hello. I just made my first UDS. I can't wait to cook on this guy. I had the barrel sandblasted for $25. It was well worth the money. If I made another UDS, and I probably will, I would take more time making my air intake holes. They're not very tight, but they'll work. I'll probably have someone tack weld them.

Nice build on your smoker. I had problems with my intake holes not being real tight as well. I put a washer on the inside and outside of the pipe and that solved that. I like you exhaust cover I did the same thing on mine.

Thanks Outboard. I thought about that, but I'm having trouble finding a big enough washer. Did you have to modify them at all or am I just looking in the wrong places (home depot, etc)?

washers

Not sure if you have an Orchard Supply Store thats where I found mine. Home Depot had some but would have had to drill out to bigger size.

I actually looked at my drum and seen I put on 2 on each side. If you cant find any let me know I have some extras I will give you

Todd

It looks like you bought an open head drum. Did you find that the lit fit on well without the gasket. Mine seemed too large for the barrel so I couldn't hinge it but maybe mine was warped. Nice job and KISS well done

It fit great with the gasket removed--so much so that I never had to use the lock ring to seal it up. When I installed the hinge it got a bit off center with some high spots so I had to massage it with a mallet. Problem solved!

It fit great with the gasket removed--so much so that I never had to use the lock ring to seal it up. When I installed the hinge it got a bit off center with some high spots so I had to massage it with a mallet. Problem solved!

Why would the lock ring be needed? Lid should seal well enough, smoking or not, right?

Still reading the entire thread, and gathering parts. I'm up to page 300, and laughing at the folks complaining about having to read all 4500 posts so far. I tell you, it's a real eye-opener to watch the evolution of the UDS take place over the course of 6 years.

I gotta get on the ball and get a drum to burn before the burn permit expires.

Film at 11...

Finally finished my UDS. Decided to just use a high heat clear coat instead of painting it. Added my favorite logo just to see what it would look like.

3TIHf2A.jpg

Back