Started smoker build

cheez59

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Well guys after much searching and researching I have finally started my smoker build. I have scrapped the reverse flow idea because of all the feedback I read about high wood consumption. This will be a clone of the Gator pit. The pit will be 36" X 72". I really wanted to use some extra heavy 24" pipe that I already have for the firebox but if I go with the 1/3 rule of thumb I reckon the 24" pipe will not work. Sooooo I am going to fabricate a big rectangular firebox. It will be easier to insulate anyway. Here are a couple pics. More to follow as I progress with the build.

Last edited:
Thats solid, can't wait to some some que coming off of that. Bet the neighbors are excited too.

Daaang that looks tough! It even looks stout enough to double as a submarine :p

Yes sir yes sir that looks like a beautiful start! I love the massive chain links as hinges.

Yes sir yes sir that looks like a beautiful start! I love the massive chain links as hinges.

Thanks brother. The chain links are not the most beatiful thing I could weld on the smoker but they will never need to be replaced and best of all they were free!:biggrin:

John, bring some of your homemade hushpuppies when you come in. Looking forward to watching the smoker build. So far it looks great!!!!!!!

John, bring some of your homemade hushpuppies when you come in. Looking forward to watching the smoker build. So far it looks great!!!!!!!

Will do Keith. I would have had some pics of the firebox today but my plasma torch decided to give me a fit.:icon_frow
I will get it fixed on Monday so maybe by mid week it will look like a smoker.

Are you doing a reverse flow on this one? The pics look like it a a pretty big smoker.

Well I had nearly a 3 month work stoppage on the smoker project. My real job and other responsibilities kept me from working on it. I got in a couple days this week so the smoker is now functional. About a day for cosmetic work then it is off to the sandbalster and then the paint booth.

Last edited:
Awwwww.....that thing'll NEVER work. No way. It's ugly too.
Tell you what.....I'll come down there, pick it up, bring it home to IN and dissassemble and scrap it for you. Heck, I'll even give you $50 for your troubles. It's a shame you wasted all that time on it though.:wink::biggrin::twisted:

Back