Brisket Size

oldpro

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The local supermarket had packer briskets on for $1.47 a pound. When I went to pick up a couple, they ranged in size from 14 to 22 pounds. I like to buy the size that fits my smokers, which are in the 10 pound range.

What do you think is the ideal size brisket, with grade not a consideration and if cooking time is not an issue? Obviously the huge briskets come from larger cattle, but what effect does that have on the finished product?

Generally I'm flexible with anything in the 13-18 lb range being the most common. I have a 16 lber being defrosted right now.

That said, I also pay attention to the fat content (surface of flat) as well as the overall shape / cut when making a pick.

I pick them based on flexibility, being well sealed in cryo, flat thickness and appearance. Weight is only a concern in terms of having enough to go around. I can always buy another, and can always dole out leftovers.

I look for the biggest "right hand" brisket that is limber and that overall looks good and meaty. A lot of it is by feel and touch.

I pick them based on flexibility, being well sealed in cryo, flat thickness and appearance. Weight is only a concern in terms of having enough to go around. I can always buy another, and can always dole out leftovers.
Took the words right out of my mouth! There's a 13 pounder wet aging in the fridge right now. CAB Choice. It was the most flexible one in the bunch, with a tight cryovac seal. Cheers!!!

^^^What the last 4 people said^^^

I like to take them and try to bend them so they touch end to end. If it feels like it's fighting me the whole way, I keep looking. But if it bends easily, it finds its way into my grocery cart.

I look for thicker flats, which will yield taller slices (mostly just for comps), but most importantly is the flexibility of the brisket and no air in cryo. I learned this from biggie, he's my brisket mentor (even if he doesn't know it :becky:)

$1.49/lb??
Would you buy a bunch and ship to me please? Even with shipping that would be cheaper then the $4.00 - $4.99 I have to pay...

Oh - size makes no difference to me.

Interestingly enough, my local HEB has recently started selling packers cut in half lengthwise. I was thinking about picking up three or four to enable me to try multiple combinations of rub, foil, etc side by side. Seems like it would make for some strangely configured slices, though. They are selling they for the same $1.39 per pound whole or half.

Back