• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Duck Prosciutto

So, forgive me as I am a curing rookie. I would have used Prague powder #2 because as far as I can tell you are not cooking the duck after the cure process. I thought it was necessary to have the Sodium Nitrite there as well as it breaks down into Sodium Nitrate slowly as your meat is dehydrating, thereby protecting from Botulism during the drying process.
Please help me on this one. Thanks

I consider myself a rookie as well on this front. I think that is #1 is fine in the application due to the relatively short cure time, but do not know that to be fact. In my limited knowledge on this, cure #2 would seem to make more sense.

When I was looking into doing this, many of the recipes didn't call fo any cure at all (other than the packing in salt). Utimately I decided on using the recipe by Michael Ruhlman since he is considered an expert and his called for cure#1 so that is what I went with.

So ultimately, you can say that I don't really have an explanation. :confused: Just kind of did what Ruhlman said.

Wish I could be more help.

I did a little looking around on the net for a good explanation (I didn't find one), but did notice that many of the recipes in various blogs that were attributed to Ruhlman had no mention of cure 1 or 2. :confused: I needed to go home at lunch and let my dogs out and while I was there I quick look at the book Salumi just to make sure that I was correct in saying that the recipe called for #1...........then I check out Ruhlman's book Charcuterie and the recipe in there had no mention of cure at all. :twitch:

Wonder what changed and why?

In any case, I have 2 breasts going in the smoker this evening when I get home. :mrgreen:

I think it's about time I got off my duff and actually did a recipe from "Charcuterie"...I've only had my copy for almost a year now.:oops:

I can relate to that, every now and then I come across a book that I didn't even know I had. :icon_blush:

Back