MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Default collard greens

how do you cook them ?????
collard greens
beam boys bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wash and stem them, slice them into strips. Brown some bacon and onions up, add a little extra oil if needed and slowly fry them until moisture is realeased, then cover and put in 400F oven until they are tender. You can do on oven as well. Older leaves take longer, so it is important to make sure leaves are about the same age on the plant.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I prefer mustard greens,then turnip greens,then rape and/or kale.Any of these are good mixed.You do NOT want to cook Collards that have not been frosted on.Stem them,then cook in chicken stock/broth with Bacon grease,Salt Pork,smoked hamhocks and or other seasonings for several hours(lo-n-slo).It is a FELONY to serve them without CI,buttermilk cornbread. REAL BUTTERMILK,not that cultured crap!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
captndan

Ditto
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Kings over Queens
Knows what a fatty is.

I strip the steam and chop into 1 or 2 inch squares, you know, rough chop. Throw into a dutch oven where I've already sauteed an onion. I use olive oil because my wife shuns bacon fat.

Cover with some broth and braise over med heat until the liquid is gone, usually takes about 45 mins to an hour. I finish with a splash of apple cider vinegar and a handful of chopped bacon bits (we always have a bag of them in the fridge).

Natually check for seasoning along the way.
Kings over Queens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
480 Volt
Got Wood.

Been cooking collards a long time. Stopped by a guy selling some on the side of the road two weeks ago and he had them bundled up. Gave him 2 bucks, got home and their was 7 bundles in his bunch. Strip the leaves, put in sink, wash 3 to 4 times, get a pot, put in something smoked. It can be ham hocs, jowls, turkey wings, necks whatever. Cover with water and boil to the meat starts coming off the bone. Remove and strip the meat off the bones. Give bones to the dogs and put meat back in the pot. Add greens till pot is full put lid on and cook down add more greens repeat process until all greens are in pot. If you like onion, garlic, red pepper cook in seperate pot till soft and add to pot.Season to taste. Cook for about 2 hours and should be ready to eat. If you cant stand the cooking smell add vinegar, if you cant stand the bitternest add sugar. I add wine. If you are lazy and dont like the cleaning, strip them, stuff them in a pillow case and run on rinse cycle in the washing machine. We cook them, then cool in the pot, put them in the fridge, slow cook them the next day for about 2 hours eat and freeze the rest, the more fridge time the better.
It,s a southern thing and We have not had any frost.
480 Volt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Popdaddy's Mystery of Collards Revealed - Broadcast from the Funkotorium - YouTube

Plus during the "irregulars part" you can hear Pitmaster Sing

Do not add smoked meat to the pot as you cook your collards. Slowly simmer it FIRST, then when you have a good nectar put the collards in.
Facebook
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

I cook collards almost once a month and have no idea what frost has to do with them.
Take the greens and wash them off very well so there is no dirt or grit left on them. Remove the thick parts of the stems and give them a good rough chop.

I take an onion (yellow or white) chop it up and add some garlic then saute in bacon fat until tender. I add a handful of the greens and simmer until they wilt a bit then add another handful until they are wilted and repeat until all the greens are in the pot.

Simmer several hours while stirring several times adding water, broth or beer to keep them moist (they will produce their own liquid as they cook).

You can add ham, ham hocks, salt pork, pork jowls, pulled pork, and even BBQ'ed beef if you want at anytime during the simmering. It really will not affect the flavor of the greens when you add the meat.

Season with salt, black pepper, red pepper, sugar, vinegar to suit your taste.

The secret to good greens is a long slow simmering.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
480 Volt
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHowler View Post
I cook collards almost once a month and have no idea what frost has to do with them.
Take the greens and wash them off very well so there is no dirt or grit left on them. Remove the thick parts of the stems and give them a good rough chop.

I take an onion (yellow or white) chop it up and add some garlic then saute in bacon fat until tender. I add a handful of the greens and simmer until they wilt a bit then add another handful until they are wilted and repeat until all the greens are in the pot.

Simmer several hours while stirring several times adding water, broth or beer to keep them moist (they will produce their own liquid as they cook).

You can add ham, ham hocks, salt pork, pork jowls, pulled pork, and even BBQ'ed beef if you want at anytime during the simmering. It really will not affect the flavor of the greens when you add the meat.

Season with salt, black pepper, red pepper, sugar, vinegar to suit your taste.

The secret to good greens is a long slow simmering.
Even in CO you know what a co is
480 Volt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

thanks all
beam boys bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I like them filled with pork and smoked... http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101331

just one more option.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
captndan

For the REAL know Google Ayden NC.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
I prefer mustard greens,then turnip greens,then rape and/or kale.Any of these are good mixed.You do NOT want to cook Collards that have not been frosted on.Stem them,then cook in chicken stock/broth with Bacon grease,Salt Pork,smoked hamhocks and or other seasonings for several hours(lo-n-slo).It is a FELONY to serve them without CI,buttermilk cornbread. REAL BUTTERMILK,not that cultured crap!
True. Oh so true. And remember, it's also a capital offense to use sugar in the cornbread!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
Riverside BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
I like them filled with pork and smoked... http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101331

just one more option.
Cowgirl know's her stuff. These are awesome, real crowd pleasers.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Walt[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
Riverside BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote