• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Why is my lid black and shiny

D

DocFry

I have been following some of the threads here and have picked up several great pointers and techniques just by keeping quiet and reading the posts of those who really know what they are doing. But now I have an issue that I have not seen addressed so here goes.

The lid of my smoker was jet black and shiny. I am completely paranoid about creosote, so, last weekend I gave the smoker a complete cleaning...I mean all the way down to metal. After the complete cleaning, I re-seasoned the smoker, inside and out.

Is the smoker supposed to be shiny and black inside? If not, how do I keep the inside of the smoker from getting shiny and black? I follow all the general "rules" on pre-heating cooking chamber and wood. Did I just go nuts for nothing? Is this the bus to school? I think I need a hug.

Any help or criticism will be a tremendous asset. :confused:

If your using it is will not stay shiney. Creosote build up, to a certain degree, is to be expected so you might o want to get used to it. Some cresote build up can have a sheen to it.

The inside of my pits are real ugly from all my cooks.

What kind of smoker? Weber says it is normal for particles to form on the inside of the lid and actually form a shiny crust that sheets and falls off every once in a while in my pool and really pisses me off!

next time you feel the need for cleaning, i have a garage that will keep you occupied all day! i think what you saw was normal, and not a problem.

bubba is right man leave the shinny stuff alone fluffy flakey black is soot

What kind of smoker? Weber says it is normal for particles to form on the inside of the lid and actually form a shiny crust that sheets and falls off every once in a while in my pool and really pisses me off!
I smoke with a CharGriller Smokin Pro right now. Figured it might be a good idea to learn on a less spendy model.

A certain ammount of build up is good for certain pits such as UDS's and stick burners to prevent rust...BUT...I disagree with some of those folks up there...^^^...too much build up tends to go rancid over time and lends itself to off tastes to your BBQ. I clean mine out at the end of each season (usually late fall or early winter) or even a few times when the flaking starts to build on the lid. Just brush it down with a wire brush (preferably brass so as not to scratch the enamel...I'm talkin' WSM's here) and then hit it with some warm soapy water. :cool:

Shiny on the outside is good...shiny and flaky on the inside is un-good...IMHO! :wink:

Hmmmm....I think I over reacted. Nothing like going a little berserk to break up the monotony.

A certain ammount of build up is good for certain pits such as UDS's and stick burners to prevent rust...BUT...I disagree with some of those folks up there...^^^...too much build up tends to go rancid over time and lends itself to off tastes to your BBQ. I clean mine out at the end of each season (usually late fall or early winter) or even a few times when the flaking starts to build on the lid. Just brush it down with a wire brush (preferably brass so as not to scratch the enamel...I'm talkin' WSM's here) and then hit it with some warm soapy water. :cool:

Shiny on the outside is good...shiny and flaky on the inside is un-good...IMHO! :wink:
Well, there was absolutely no flaking of any sort. Just shiny black, you know, like those IRS CID vehicles. The smoker always smelled like you could take a bite out of it and be happy about it.

Well, there was absolutely no flaking of any sort. Just shiny black, you know, like those IRS CID vehicles. The smoker always smelled like you could take a bite out of it and be happy about it.

Sounds like the perfect smoker to me! :cool: Mine start to smell a little funky around September depending on how many comps we do in the summer. :wink:

Black and seasoned is good. Flaky is bad. I don't want nuttin flaking and falling on my food other than those special hard earned flavor bits that take so long to build up. No cleaning here! The dirtier the better... until a grease fire then it's all clean again!

keep in mind with smoke and fat dripping and making more smoke you will get that fat smoke witch will make the inside shinny so season again and let the thin blue smoke roll

Keep in mind there is creosote and then there is coal-tar creosote. The foul, painful and annoying stuff they use on railroad ties is coal-tar creosote. You're not going to be getting coal-tar creosote on the innards of your smoker. Unless you burn railroad ties: please don't do that. :)

Ya, you washed off all your hard earned seasonong.

Stop it. :cool:

I agree. If there is any flakey stuff, just brush it off. The seasoning in a smoker is like the petina on antiques.........

That's a good smell. Now you gots to start all over again......that's not necessarily a bad thing though!:wink:

Sounds like the perfect smoker to me! :cool: Mine start to smell a little funky around September depending on how many comps we do in the summer. :wink:

JD, I don't use mine as much as you do, I'm sure. Do you think high humidity areas would tend to add to this during the hot summer months? I'm thinking the high humidity, would create molds etc that would probably thrive inside a smoker thus causing some off odors. I agree with you too. At some point if you use them often enough, over and over, there is a difference between the petina and grease build up. I do know that that grease build up will smell pretty bad of not cleaned out.

Brethren—

I thank you all so very much, and , belive me when I say that I appreciate all of your input.

I started smoking in March of 2009, I looked forward to Autumn when I could smoke cheese. I have smoked my cheeses an even sent them as far as Poland. I received only accolades. But the creosote issue loomed as a Polterguise in my life.

If I understand correctly, and I am willing to be wrong here, shiny black inside, without flakiness, is good. And that is what I had when I went off-chart.

I use my smoker about two or three time a week, on average. My wood of choiice is Pecan, not that it makes a lot of defference.

I was under the impression that any build-up in the smoker was bad. Now I see that there is, presumably, an acceptable, even unavoidable level of creosote that is to be expected when smoking.

My dilemma is that I am too new to smoking to understand the difference between what is acceptable and what is in the danger zone regarding "build-up".

As a precaution for those who will or might be partakers of my food stuff, I went to the extreme of a deep cleansing....not condemnatory, but questionable.

After your thoughtful responses, I believe I have a better understanding of the process as a whole, and its "bi-products."

Shiny back, OK, black with scales or flaking...questionable.

Am I on the right track?

Back